Where would I cycle in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
A driver turned down the "off" slip-road onto the M40 near us. Drove along for quite a way before the police arrived!

(arguably the signage isn't very clear, as it is designed for people going the CORRECT way! But there are definitely no-entry signs, I've checked...)

That reminds me of the guy listening to his car radio announcement " beware, there is someone driving the wrong way on the Motorway!" ..... He says to his Wife " They've got that announcement wrong - look there are hundreds of them" :laugh: :laugh:

Fastpedaller

Über Member
I wonder if some motorists make any attempt to actively look for signs. In our local market town in North Norfolk we know when Summer is here because some visitors just don't see the signage - Yesterday I was stopped on my bike at the front of the queue at a traffic lights crossroads when the driver coming the other way decided he'd turn right into the road with 'no entry'. I waved my arms vigorously and his passenger alerted him, and he turned left (the correct route) instead. Another dodgy junction only 200M away has 2 one way lanes before a T junction. The lanes are clearly marked for L turn and R turn only, but many times I've been in my car in the RH lane ready to turn right when a car comes up the inside and turns right straight in front of me. Too dim to look for signs in a town they are unfamiliar with, and too dim to think 'why is that car on my right?' makes me wonder how some get a licence. Rant over.

Alex321

Guru
They didn’t ignore any road signs. There aren’t signs saying no cycling as you join M25

They ignored the signs saying it is the M25. There is no need for signs listing categories of vehicle not permitted, as that is automatically covered by the law.

At one time, there were such signs at the entrances to motorways, buty those were all removed many years ago.
1724930240061.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
They ignored the signs saying it is the M25. There is no need for signs listing categories of vehicle not permitted, as that is automatically covered by the law.

At one time, there were such signs at the entrances to motorways, buty those were all removed many years ago.
View attachment 743156

You are assuming that they know they cannot cycle on a motorway. Many won’t unless they’ve learnt to drive.

Reactions: mjr

presta

Guru
It sounds to me as though your cue sheets offer every minute detail
I'd end up spending as much time stopping to read notes as cycling if I tried to navigate that way, in built up areas I use the same road signs I would in a car, backed up with the road atlas in the map holder on the bars. One of the reasons I dislike cycle paths is that they generally have useless or meaningless signposts, and don't appear on the road atlas.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I wonder if some motorists make any attempt to actively look for signs. In our local market town in North Norfolk we know when Summer is here because some visitors just don't see the signage - Yesterday I was stopped on my bike at the front of the queue at a traffic lights crossroads when the driver coming the other way decided he'd turn right into the road with 'no entry'. I waved my arms vigorously and his passenger alerted him, and he turned left (the correct route) instead. Another dodgy junction only 200M away has 2 one way lanes before a T junction. The lanes are clearly marked for L turn and R turn only, but many times I've been in my car in the RH lane ready to turn right when a car comes up the inside and turns right straight in front of me. Too dim to look for signs in a town they are unfamiliar with, and too dim to think 'why is that car on my right?' makes me wonder how some get a licence. Rant over.

I know we must read the words on road signs, but any good highways designer will tell you that we mostly don't.

When I worked in retail I spent a lot of time telling store managers that written signs were absolutely useless - we just don't read them. Signs with a symbol or arrow are better and an environment that guides is most effective.

presta

Guru
I've never ended up on a motorway, but passing through Warrington I couldn't find any signposts to Chester that weren't marked M56, it was only after I'd followed the M56 signs for a while that A-road alternatives appeared on the signs.

When I worked in retail I spent a lot of time telling store managers that written signs were absolutely useless - we just don't read them. Signs with a symbol or arrow are better and an environment that guides is most effective.

Manufacturers copy branded package designs because people find what they're looking for by shape & colour.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wasn't there someone who ended up cycling on the M25 as Google Maps directed them that way?
One of the more obvious problems using Google maps for cycling. Just don't. Almost anything is better.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

There are still such signs on the A12 between Redbridge Roundabout and the Blackwall Tunnel in East London, which is very motorway-ish and I think would actually be a motorway were it not managed by TfL. Or something like that. The signs are needed in this case because it's an exceptional A road. I have cycled along it (during Ride London. It was closed)
1724932473325.png

I notice that this doesn't specify Mopeds and L-Drivers, which @Alex321's does.

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru
There are still such signs on the A12 between Redbridge Roundabout and the Blackwall Tunnel in East London, which is very motorway-ish and I think would actually be a motorway were it not managed by TfL. Or something like that. The signs are needed in this case because it's an exceptional A road. I have cycled along it (during Ride London. It was closed)
View attachment 743158
I notice that this doesn't specify Mopeds and L-Drivers, which @Alex321's does.

I'm not sure that moped is an official designation any more. At one time, it was motorcycles under 50cc with a mnax speed of 28mph - which would be covered anyhow by the above sign.

Officially a "Special Road" for legal purposes - as is quite a bit of the A55 in North Wales.
Though the A55 sign (at least in 2013) did also exclude mopeds and L drivers (except HGV)
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki...ictions_at_Llanddulas_-_Coppermine_-_7708.jpg

Top Bottom