Where would I cycle in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
there are 100 cue changes of direction. Very easy to miss one - or more cues and finish up on the 'Safe Lane' of a motorway.
Easy to miss a turning. Very difficult indeed - unless you are exceptionally stupid and unobservant - to end up on the motorway.

Firstly you would have to pass a sign like this.
1724855579627.png

Secondly you would have to go down a motorway slip road. And you might just think to yourself "feck me, this is a motorway sliproad"

I suggest you get yourself a copy of the highway code.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
British roads generally don't have shoulders. (Apart from motorways, where you're not allowed to cycle anyway.)

Challenge accepted!!!

presta

Guru
Indeed! But looking at the EDP site - I'm from Norwich, so nostalgia? - I saw this and wondered if it might have any bearing on my upcoming slog northward as a potentially typical example of current British road situations.
On an aside note, the main concern I have is how to avoid missing a strategic turn on my route and ending up on a motorway, so wondering about the conditions shown in the photo, I posted my plaintive worry, here.
For example: one line on my cue sheet is:
'A sort distance along the road bends to the left with 'Cedars House' in front of you and Wells Cathedral School. Turn R at the bend in the road down the one-way-street at the "School sign".
What happens if the "School sign" as disappeared, or Cedars House' is now a migrant centre called Alibaba?
For example: On the day I travel the 114 miles from Street to Bewdley - over the Bristol Channel - there are 100 cue changes of direction. Very easy to miss one - or more cues and finish up on the 'Safe Lane' of a motorway.
I couldn't be doing with all that faff, I just get on the bike, navigate using the map on the handlebars, and make up the route as I go along according to time and conditions.

Alex321

Guru
Indeed! But looking at the EDP site - I'm from Norwich, so nostalgia? - I saw this and wondered if it might have any bearing on my upcoming slog northward as a potentially typical example of current British road situations.
On an aside note, the main concern I have is how to avoid missing a strategic turn on my route and ending up on a motorway, so wondering about the conditions shown in the photo, I posted my plaintive worry, here.
'A sort distance along the road bends to the left with 'Cedars House' in front of you and Wells Cathedral School. Turn R at the bend in the road down the one-way-street at the "School sign".
What happens if the "School sign" as disappeared, or Cedars House' is now a migrant centre called Alibaba?
For example: On the day I travel the 114 miles from Street to Bewdley - over the Bristol Channel - there are 100 cue changes of direction. Very easy to miss one - or more cues and finish up on the 'Safe Lane' of a motorway.

I think you are maybe overthinking things a little here.

Yes, it is possible to miss a cue. But you will soon realise when nothing matches the next ones, and if you have maps, it isn't usually too hard to work out where you are and how to get back on track.

OP
OP
B

blackrat

I think you are maybe overthinking things a little here.

Yes, it is possible to miss a cue. But you will soon realise when nothing matches the next ones, and if you have maps, it isn't usually too hard to work out where you are and how to get back on track.

Absolutely, as long as I can make my way to a motorway, I'll be fine. :eek:

PaulSB

Squire

Rather than be dismissive, as some other posts have been, I'll try to help.

The first point is to emphasise it would be incredibly difficult to join a motorway but not impossible. I wouldn't worry about this. Saying that only yesterday as I joined the M65 (a local motorway) near Preston a car came towards going the wrong way on the motorway! Scary!

As for general navigation your cue sheet suggests you've used mapping software of some form. Can you put this on a GPS unit? It will be the simplest solution.

I once rode from home to Bordeaux without using a GPS unit. I carried maps. Each evening I would study the next day's route, noted the road numbers and village names and approximate distance between each village in a small note book (about 2" x 2"). I carried the notebook in my jersey pocket and simply referred to it when needed.

It sounds to me as though your cue sheets offer every minute detail, possibly the routing is diverting on to very quiet or traffic free lanes. I would advise against carrying reams of paper. If you do get lost, miss a turn it will quickly become apparent and quick reference to a map will correct you.

Going back to cycle lanes. In the UK we have a huge range of cycle paths varying from very good to utterly disastrous. My buddies and I do use them if it suits us. We would ignore the example you posted.

The good ones will be fairly obvious. Broadly speaking the decent ones will be signed on the lines of these below. The signage is generally good but can be difficult to spot. I rode the Pennine Cycleway, 350 miles, using only the signage. I had maps as backup but hardly used them, if at all.

1000015224.jpg

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Would I be correct in assuming it's something to do with this sign? I can't see any cycle path signs on the path so would cycle on the road as usual. There is a marked cycle lane a few hundred yards further up after the mini roundabout.
View attachment 742951

That’s a national cycle route sign, however quite a bit of the national routes use public roads, the sign is not encouraging a cyclist to use the pavement, it’s just for information. However it is confusing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Challenge accepted!!!

Wasn't there someone who ended up cycling on the M25 as Google Maps directed them that way?

Drago

Legendary Member
Wasn't there someone who ended up cycling on the M25 as Google Maps directed them that way?

There was a delivereat type ride found the motorway somewhere, was in the news just a few days ago.

Not only did they finger him for being on the motorway, they also knocked him off for riding his 'moped', a seriously juiced up ebike, without licence, insurance, etc.

A driver turned down the "off" slip-road onto the M40 near us. Drove along for quite a way before the police arrived!

(arguably the signage isn't very clear, as it is designed for people going the CORRECT way! But there are definitely no-entry signs, I've checked...)

Top Bottom