What's your dissertation about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you want to do some research you can always come and visit.

Thanks for the offer, Andy.

I'm aware of some of the enlightened schemes in the EU that are better for everyone than our current arrangements in the UK.

If I say any more I'll be banished to NACA

History is just one thing after another.
I have always thought that history is the human interpretation of past events.

On that basis, history can be reinterpreted and hence altered.
I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but when I read your post, I interpreted it as this sort of thing:

q=tbn:ANd9GcRlOhnv3cByZgI3iUh-sAnlZ4THdpr3pI0DMw&s.jpg

[first posted on the cartoon thread, I forget the poster, sorry!]

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Now look here, it's my dissertation and I'm sticking with my interpretation of the term 'history'. :laugh:

Further reading, although (from the article) history as an umbrella term does not support what I say but prehistory is defined as being before humans began making records of past events - which does, imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History

As an aside, and one for some existential pondering on a rainy day; without an observer; is there any history?

Now look here, it's my dissertation and I'm sticking with my interpretation of the term 'history'. :laugh:

Further reading, although (from the article) history as an umbrella term does not support what I say but prehistory is defined as being before humans began making records of past events - which does, imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History

As an aside, and one for some existential pondering on a rainy day; without an observer; is there any history?

If you want me to read your work, write something about the timeline of history:
something that intrigues me is that as historians increase our knowledge of the past, The Past is in fact moving further away from us. Are we doomed to lose this race?? Is there a limit - a sort of pre-history vanishing point? If we're actually beating time, will we eventually run out of history (e.g. once we reach prehistoric man evolving into homo sapiens), and will we then turn to getting more detail on recent history??

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have done a dissertation. It was a continuation of two previous students' projects. The first wrote a computer simulation to estimate whether a preventative maintenance strategy would be more economic than a corrective maintenance strategy for off shore wind farms. The second student applied the model to two offshore windfarms using real weather data. I extended it to include a condition based maintenance strategy, with different sensors in different components. A result I did not expect was that it was not the most economic strategy to replace a component as soon as it starts to fail. Let it wear out a bit, keep an eye on it, replace it when it is about to fail properly and combine it with other maintenance tasks when you make a maintenance trip. Preventative maintenance can be wasteful and there is always the chance of making mistakes while maintaining something. OTOH sensors and monitoring equipment also costs and adds complexity.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
If you want me to read your work, write something about the timeline of history:
something that intrigues me is that as historians increase our knowledge of the past, The Past is in fact moving further away from us. Are we doomed to lose this race?? Is there a limit - a sort of pre-history vanishing point? If we're actually beating time, will we eventually run out of history (e.g. once we reach prehistoric man evolving into homo sapiens), and will we then turn to getting more detail on recent history??

Doesn't history depend on a written record? It may be cross-referenced with other ways of researching the past, such as archaeology or DNA analysis.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
That might pull me away from the skin of a rice pudding! Would there be a thesis on feasiblety of walking on the surface of the set custard?

Well there could be a parallel dissertation on the Newtonian liquid properties of custard as it cools at different temperatures. But the sensory sampling would need to happen before your bare feet touched the custard.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have done a dissertation. It was a continuation of two previous students' projects. The first wrote a computer simulation to estimate whether a preventative maintenance strategy would be more economic than a corrective maintenance strategy for off shore wind farms. The second student applied the model to two offshore windfarms using real weather data. I extended it to include a condition based maintenance strategy, with different sensors in different components. A result I did not expect was that it was not the most economic strategy to replace a component as soon as it starts to fail. Let it wear out a bit, keep an eye on it, replace it when it is about to fail properly and combine it with other maintenance tasks when you make a maintenance trip. Preventative maintenance can be wasteful and there is always the chance of making mistakes while maintaining something. OTOH sensors and monitoring equipment also costs and adds complexity.

Makes sense to me in relation to bikes.

I'm amazed at bikes that go on for years and years with zero maintenance while I spend a fortune replacing things early.

Top Bottom