What TV comedy do you like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
One no one has mentioned, Keeping Up Appearances, that was quite funny, everyone knows someone a bit like Hyacinth.
Catherine Tate as well, done some good stuff.
Earlier on Ken Dodd, I watched a few things and initially thought he was be rubbish. I was shocked it was very funny.
1970s- Dick Emery, Ronnie Barker-a great talent in everything he was in. Michael Crawford as Frank Spencer.
1990s -Alan Partridge, I've known some people who have actually been quite close to this.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nobody has yet mentioned ' The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin'. Brilliantly written by David Nobbs and played by Leonard Rossiter. This was a notch above the usual comedy's of that era. I'd rate it my No 1.
It pervaded everyday life. I well remember in the seventies working for a small manufacturing concern in the midlands and at our board meetings the MD when he thought he'd made a particularly clever decision he'd utter CJ's well worn phrase ' I didn't get where I am today without knowing...

Also highly ranked are:
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
Ripping Yarns
Early Doors
Porridge ( who could ever imagine a comedy about life in prison).
Bottom
Peep Show

Last edited:
Watched a few episodes of Corrie recently - bit of nostalgia really. Episode from the early 80's had Annie Walker buying a painting, and displaying it proudly. She thought it was by an unknown genius, not realising it was in fact done by Hilda Ogden, the pub cleaner.
Comedy gold it was back then, in the guise of a soap opera.
Hilda and Stan, Jack and Vera, Eddie Yeats, Fred Gee - great actors and definitely comical storytelling.
I watch Classic Corrie, I'm up to about 2004 now, it's very funn at times. Sir IanMckellen is about to join as a very funny character so it's worth looking at, ITVX.
One no one has mentioned, Keeping Up Appearances, that was quite funny, everyone knows someone a bit like Hyacinth.
KUA is amazing, my nan loved it and I didn't appreciate it at the time. Watching it back it's absolute gem, also sadly missing Geoffrey Rush Hughes as Onslo 😔

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Told you I'd remember more - Phoenix Nights.

Although living around five miles from where it was filmed meant that it looked like a documentary at times. 😂
To any person that has ever been in a WMC anywhere in the Northern part of England would think it was a documentary

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Lots of good examples but not a single mention of the one sitcom I can watch endlessly:
As Time Goes By.

I watch it with my wife and we are both convinced the Jean and Nigel are based on us. It’s uncanny!

Alex321

Guru
Dad's Army
Porridge
The Avengers (I *think* it was intended to be a comedy)
Citizen Smith
Red Dwarf
Absolutely Fabulous
The Liver Birds
Birds of a Feather
Last of the Summer Wine
M.A.S.H.
Open All Hours
'Allo 'Allo
Fawlty Towers
The first series of Shameless (UK)
Drop the Dead Donkey
Blackadder
A Very Peculiar Practice
Are You Being Served
Vicar of Dibley
The Famous Five (Comedy with Jennifer Saunders et al from the early days of Channel 4)

Morecambe and Wise
The Two Ronnies
Dave Allen
Clive Allen
Jennifer Saunders
Julie Walters

There are some which got a lot of acclaim but I tried and just didn't like them, such as
Father ted
The Young Ones
Bottom
Keeping Up Appearances
Catherine Tate

Top Bottom