What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not impressed with the catch-up Olympic coverage on iPlayer... I would have liked to watch the skateboarding but all i can find is a 14 minute snippet of the women's event. :sad:

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Not impressed with the catch-up Olympic coverage on iPlayer... I would have liked to watch the skateboarding but all i can find is a 14 minute snippet of the women's event. :sad:

The highlights haven't been great. And what they're advertising as being on doesn't seem to catch up in real time.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just watched The Jetty and couldn't wait for it to be over, a dull offering imho.

Last night, just by chance
An episode of 'Inspector George Gently'

Series 5/episode 1
'Gently Northern Soul'

About the murder of a young black girl, after she left a Northern Soul evening
It was a good plot, with many twists & turns, and misdirections as to the killer (& a twist in the tale)

I recognised one of the cast (John Bowler) as having played a Chief Superintendant in another Police 'procedural' programme; WPC 56', who was an equally nasty charactor in that!

A big question formed in my head though
When this was set, as shown by the Police Officers listening to the Enoch Powelll 'Rivers Of Blood' speech, on the radio (1968, according to wikipedia), would 'Northern Soul' have been a 'thing'/craze?

One 'goof' was when DS Bacchus was chasing a suspect through a scrapyard, he passed a building with UPVC double-glazed windows!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326126/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Chislenko

Veteran
Last night, just by chance
An episode of 'Inspector George Gently'

Series 5/episode 1
'Gently Northern Soul'

About the murder of a young black girl, after she left a Northern Soul evening
It was a good plot, with many twists & turns, and misdirections as to the killer (& a twist in the tale)

I recognised one of the cast (John Bowler) as having played a Chief Superintendant in another Police 'procedural' programme; WPC 56', who was an equally nasty charactor in that!

A big question formed in my head though
When this was set, as shown by the Police Officers listening to the Enoch Powelll 'Rivers Of Blood' speech, on the radio (1968, according to wikipedia), would 'Northern Soul' have been a 'thing'/craze?

One 'goof' was when DS Bacchus was chasing a suspect through a scrapyard, he passed a building with UPVC double-glazed windows!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326126/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Northern gained some traction in the early to mid sixties. The Twisted Wheel (Manchester) stated 1963, The Torch (Stoke) stated 1965. Obviously there were other clubs (Va Va in Bolton I think may have been open at that time as well) so plenty of Northern about in the mid sixties.

Northern gained some traction in the early to mid sixties. The Twisted Wheel (Manchester) stated 1963, The Torch (Stoke) stated 1965. Obviously there were other clubs (Va Va in Bolton I think may have been open at that time as well) so plenty of Northern about in the mid sixties.
Yes, in terms of the music itself, but would that 'name' have been used??

Top Bottom