What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Fitted 90% of electric bike kit. Bottle mounts are wrong place so going to jubilee round downtube too.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Fitted a 700x28 Schwalbe Marathon plus tyre! 45 minutes of huffing, puffing and inventing new swear words. Stopped after 15 mins to watch a couple of You Tube instruction videos and eventually got it seated by a combination of:-
1) when dragging the beading over the rim on one side of the wheel, created some slack by pressing down firmly on the wheel to squash the opposite side of the tyre into the groove,
2) once I got half of the tyre on, I progressively tied the seated part firmly onto the rim using a number of cable ties before seating each further stretch of tyre and
3) when I got down to the toughest six inches to seat, I combined squashing down on the tyre with gripping the last bit with my hitherto useless tyre seating tool.

Well, it's done, but I can't say I looked like a pro. I no longer have any fingerprints.

Gwylan

Veteran
Hercules and I covered 386 km today. And it was 30+C all the way.
Might take it easy tomorrow. New brake pads on the list.
Just have to get to Toulouse for Sunday lunch.

I should fess up and admit he was strapped on the back of the van. Whilst I was in air conditioned comfort up the front.
Honourable mention for Vanessa.

I ordered these two from Trek and they arrived at the shop yesterday, so the day was spent assembling them and taking them for a ride. I did the e-bike at work to take advantage of the power lift as the little green bugger weighs a bit. The red hotrod got done at home. Fun for Frau Fritz and I.

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

Drzdave58

Über Member
I finished up this little project today. I found this bike in a scrap heap and thought it was worth saving.. Its a Eaton Glider made in England by Raleigh. Pretty sure its 1970s. It was sitting in 2 pieces. No steering bearings. I disassembled and replaced the bearings etc. Removed a lot of surface rust off the rims and hubs. Painted the fenders and chain guard. Tires and tubes were excellent as well as the saddle. Rides solid and should last another 20.

Attachments

• 20230813_172420.jpg
    20230813_172420.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230813_172452.jpg
    20230813_172452.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230813_163603.jpg
    20230813_163603.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230813_162520.jpg
    20230813_162520.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230813_162513.jpg
    20230813_162513.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230813_162503.jpg
    20230813_162503.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230813_163626.jpg
    20230813_163626.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 24

richardfm

Veteran
I cleaned and lubricated the drive train and pumped up the tyres on my Thorn Sherpa in preparation for a ride from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth later this week.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I finished up this little project today. I found this bike in a scrap heap and thought it was worth saving.. Its a Eaton Glider made in England by Raleigh. Pretty sure its 1970s. It was sitting in 2 pieces. No steering bearings. I disassembled and replaced the bearings etc. Removed a lot of surface rust off the rims and hubs. Painted the fenders and chain guard. Tires and tubes were excellent as well as the saddle. Rides solid and should last another 20.

Could do with some brakes maybe. :whistle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
These bikes come standard with a rear coaster brake only. Were coaster brakes before your time Raleighnut? 😉

Nah not something I've come across much in Britain, more American/Dutch bikes. Can't say I'd be happy trying to brake with that only on the hills here but then I should have twigged when you called the mudguards 'Fenders' that you're USA based.
To me a Fender is a brand of Guitar/Amplifier/Keyboard. :becool:

Drzdave58

Über Member
Nah not something I've come across much in Britain, more American/Dutch bikes. Can't say I'd be happy trying to brake with that only on the hills here but then I should have twigged when you called the mudguards 'Fenders' that you're USA based.
To me a Fender is a brand of Guitar/Amplifier/Keyboard. :becool:

Yeah..I keep forgetting u blokes call them mudgards. Coaster brakes are popular on cruiser bikes in North America. They ok for that.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Finished work on the Ridley Fenix build; gear and brake cables done, chain plus bar tape. Raceblade Long mudguards are also on as it'll be used as a winter bike and for Zwift use before it gets cold and wet. So probably off the smart turbo by Friday. Happy with the result as it's been built on a tight budget, which at times has been complex given the frameset was originally for Di2 only, and it means we've a Boardman AirPro frameset plus parts to sell.

We've taken the 3T Aeronova bars plus stem and the 105 crankset with Absolute Black winter chainrings from the Boardman, added a spare set of Superstar Components wheels with Shimano 8000 shifters/rear brake and 6800 derailleurs with a Dura-Ace 9100 front brake. Ultegra pedals replaced the well-used old Shimano 105 5700 ones. We'll get the steerer trimmed once it's all bedded in.

Finished photo:

PXL_20230814_190126440.jpg

The PlanetX Nanolight has also been stripped down to a frameset plus bottom bracket. At 5.1kg it's been light but almost too light and very temperamental. We've a Ridley Helium X which will be heavier when the parts are transferred but hopefully easier to use. It'll also double-up outside of the hillclimb season as a spare road bike so there are two different builds happening; one for climbing with a different saddle/bars/shifters/crankset with single chainring/lightweight tub wheelset and an 'alternative' build with two working shifters/front derailleur/double crankset/heavier wheels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom