What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My NeilPryde's been playing up. Or rather the left crank has developed a big wobble. It's come loose before and I've simply tightened things up, but on this occasion I've a bit of time.

Taking it apart it appears the left crank thread is very worn. Given it's a Dura-Ace 9000 it'll cost a bit to find a spare :cursing:

For now it's cleaned and back together whilst I source one.

Also, the Thompson Capella has been slipping in the lowest gears. I'm not sure why but it made the last hillclimb I did, which co-incidentally was when it was last used, very interesting/challenging. I've taken a chain link out, adjusted the derailleurs and hope that those fix it.

Punkawallah

Über Member
That annoying mudguard rubbing that only comes under load...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tales-from-todays-commute.105055/page-2199#post-7043178

... took the rear wheel off to investigate.

Couple of shiny patches on inside of mudguard, made some adjustments, same thing. Still only under load.

Took wheel off again, no obvious play in the bearings, but seemed to have slight wobble on freehub. Have it a wiggle, then another, then another and...

...hub fell apart in my hands, rear axle had snapped.

View attachment 703093

Presumably was flexing under load as a result. I keep a spare, swapped cassette, went to swap tyre and tube...

... valve core fell out. Couldn't find it, binned tube, finally everything back together, reindexed gears, good to go.

New wheel needed. Actually probably two, 'cos the spare is pretty much bollixed too.

Dodged a bullet there, lad!

GuyBoden

Guru
I wasn't happy with the chainline on the 1x hill climber that I recently built, so I changed the BB to a shorter 107mm length, seems to have made an improvement in the low gear rear sprocket chainline. The big advantage of using the old square taper BB's is you can get different lengths, so improve the chainline.

Also, I wasn't happy with the slightly damaged rear derailleur hanger, so I replace it with a new one and then aligned it using the wheel rim method.

Cleaned and lubed both Stayers this afternoon and found out that the nds crank arm bolt had fallen out on the better half Konaso need to get one of those as I don't have one here,or I might have a mooch at work as I think there is a used XT crankset kicking about with would be an upgrade on the clunky heavy Suntour one on there at the moment.

Mike_P

Guru
Road bike needed its rear derailleur reindexing due to cable stretch. After much tweaking on each cog I was getting a bit bemused as to why each were not running smoothly without tweaking the cable adjuster and quite what was this doing to those already justed. Put it the chain on the largest cog, tweaked. Onto the next largest, tweaked, checked the largest - fine and then all the rest were.

Top Bottom