What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
IMG_20230622_100818.jpg

IMG_20230622_103137.jpg

Freed up the seat post on this Peugeot Prestige frame. Game on!

Mburton1993

Über Member
Still in the process of fettling, wrapping handlebars and the hoods have these grooves that sit into the plastic when lowered. So do I avoid taping under the groves? Otherwise the hood won't rest right.

Attachments

• IMG_20230622_181025.jpg
    IMG_20230622_181025.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2

Tom B

Guru
Finally got around to replacing the snapped chain on the MTB.

Looks like it wasn't quite as simple as that. Went for a ride yesterday and something on the rear mech isn't happy. It was like it was constantly poorly indexed and constantly not quite in gear. No amount of adjustment on the barrel would quieten it, I could run the barrel completely from one gear to the next and at no point was it happy. It would also hunt between gears for no apparent reason.
Annoyingly it doesn't seem to do it on the stand only with a bit of pressure.

There is a lot of waggle in the rear mech so I'm wondering something is bent, either from my running it with a short chain and stretching it a bit too far or from a prior knock. It's always been a bit of a pig.

Anyway I've got a new Deore Mech in the parts box, so I'm going to fit that, bit that means a new shifter so over orderesd a £5.99 tiagra shifter (I'm assured the pull ratios of Deore and tiagra rears are the same) to try it.

A new (to me) hard tail is looking on the horizon, but what to do with this....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks like it wasn't quite as simple as that. Went for a ride yesterday and something on the rear mech isn't happy. It was like it was constantly poorly indexed and constantly not quite in gear. No amount of adjustment on the barrel would quieten it, I could run the barrel completely from one gear to the next and at no point was it happy. It would also hunt between gears for no apparent reason.
Annoyingly it doesn't seem to do it on the stand only with a bit of pressure.

There is a lot of waggle in the rear mech so I'm wondering something is bent, either from my running it with a short chain and stretching it a bit too far or from a prior knock. It's always been a bit of a pig.

Anyway I've got a new Deore Mech in the parts box, so I'm going to fit that, bit that means a new shifter so over orderesd a £5.99 tiagra shifter (I'm assured the pull ratios of Deore and tiagra rears are the same) to try it.

A new (to me) hard tail is looking on the horizon, but what to do with this....

Have you checked the dropout alignment, even if you've fitted a new one it will still need tweaking somewhat to suit the frame and wheels you have

EDIT some call it a 'mech hanger'

Tom B

Guru
Have you checked the dropout alignment, even if you've fitted a new one it will still need tweaking somewhat to suit the frame and wheels you have

EDIT some call it a 'mech hanger'

It had crossed my mind. I did have a look at it when I fitted the chain, it looked ok to the mk1 eyeball - ive spotted bent hangers on other bikes in the past. I don't have one of those hanger alignment tools, but have a spare hanger ill give it a go when I have a moment.
The more i look the more I think the mech isnt well. There is a lot of play or waggle in the top pivot of the mech

A friend who lives a few doors down dropped his bike off for a thorough checking over, he’s having a health issue which prevents his driving his car and thought dragging his bike out was a good idea.

When delivered it had years of dust on it, 1997 lot codes on the derailleurs and plastic cranks… so a department store ride… ick.

First up, the rear tube blows when inflated, bad start. The front wheel is pretty bent but can be straightened enough to be used… sorta. It has a price tag on it so it’s been replaced once already. I try to drop the rear wheel to replace the tube and have a hell of a time getting it out of the drop outs, seems a 130mm wheel in a 120mm frame isn’t a good idea, especially when the axel is bent. Although the bottom bracket just needs an adjustment the bearings are shot in both wheels. Broken springs in the front cantilever brakes and shot bushing on both sets makes setting up the brakes a challenge. At least both derailleurs are fine, how is it that even the cheapest derailleurs will work fine even when totally beat to death.

I got everything working and took it for a spin, the old turd runs along pretty nicely. I delivered the bike back to him and told him to ride it till it drops and not spend any money on it.

At least we got a laugh out of it.

D

Deleted member 1258

It had crossed my mind. I did have a look at it when I fitted the chain, it looked ok to the mk1 eyeball - ive spotted bent hangers on other bikes in the past. I don't have one of those hanger alignment tools, but have a spare hanger ill give it a go when I have a moment.
The more i look the more I think the mech isnt well. There is a lot of play or waggle in the top pivot of the mech

If the rear mech pivot points are badly worn you're likey to find that it can be adjusted to change up but it won't change down, if you adjust it to change down it won't change up.

Tom B

Guru
If the rear mech pivot points are badly worn you're likey to find that it can be adjusted to change up but it won't change down, if you adjust it to change down it won't change up.

It will run up and down the gears fine, it needed no adjustment on the barrel or limit screws when I fitted the chain. However it is sloppy in gear - in so much that it is never quite happy or quiet in any gear and "ticks" and also hunts, up and down sprockets even on flat even roads, but of course worse on bumpy stuff / cobbles etc. Adjusted to the point it will reliably drop into the smallest sprocket it is prone to dropping the chain off the cassette, not an issue I have seen on this bike prior.

D

Deleted member 1258

It will run up and down the gears fine, it needed no adjustment on the barrel or limit screws when I fitted the chain. However it is sloppy in gear - in so much that it is never quite happy or quiet in any gear and "ticks" and also hunts, up and down sprockets even on flat even roads, but of course worse on bumpy stuff / cobbles etc. Adjusted to the point it will reliably drop into the smallest sprocket it is prone to dropping the chain off the cassette, not an issue I have seen on this bike prior.

It sounds like the mech is worn but not badly enough to only change one way.

Wiped down my bike and pumped the tubeless tyres (road bike) up to 80psi (the front tyre was down to about 45psi just 3 days after its last top up, thats odd I expect at most to loose that in a month but hey ho) and then relubed the chain. Just as I was as I was finished pssst. The tyre was still solid but it must have p'tured and ran out of sealant and not quite sealed. So I topped up the sealant, pumped the tyre up to 80 psi again and waited 5mins. It went psst again but this time when it went psst it stopped within 2 seconds, so touch wood its sealed :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fixed one of my pairs of cheap reading glasses that I use when spouting nonsense making valuable contributions on the forum...

Some time ago I bought 2 pairs of 2.0s (which I use now) and 2 pairs of 2.5s for future needs. I snapped the left thingie (er... temple!) off one pair of the 2.0s so I swapped one in off a pair of the 2.5s. (I remembered to scratch the 2.5 label off the temple to avoid future confusion as to the strength of the specs.)

Not entirely my work, but I check them and I trained the people fixing them, so I'm claiming some involvement:

20230622_182410.jpg

Elderly city bike. This is a "95er". It will be sold for 95€ after a basic check, clean, pumping up the tyres and and no replacement of parts. This is a new idea which I'm ambivalent about, but it's a compromise between myself and the management.

This one isn't going to be sold for 95€:

20230623_103813.jpg

A Scott Acer. I have to say my client did a lovely job of restoring this one: it looked a bit of a mess when it came in. Now it's working beautifully and so shiny it was hard to photograph.

And then there's this oddball:

20230623_081945.jpg

This was lurking at the back of the workshop when I took over and I didn't know if it was privately owned. No-one has claimed it in a year so we took it out to repair. It's a surprisingly nice ride and functions perfectly except for the forks which are solid: we've taken them to bits in the hope of getting them to work but they still don't so it'll get sold as it is.

Top Bottom