What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Some surface rust removed, chain stay back to bare metal, then 3 coats of primer / rust inhibitor sprayed on. Give it 24 hours to fully cure, then I’ll add another 3 layers of the frame colour paint.

View attachment 694762

And top three coats of frame colour applied. Waiting for final coat to dry then I can remove masking and put rear wheel back in.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
And top three coats of frame colour applied. Waiting for final coat to dry then I can remove masking and put rear wheel back in.

In the face of that, taking the scuffed stickers off my Brompton and fitting some new ones sounds a bit pathetic!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Cinelli stem and Tioga bars that I'd picked up cheaply for the Woodrup arrived today.

I therefore swapped the 2-week old bar tape and shifters across after cleaning the tape. Along with adding a new seatpost bolt. It's meant a chromed stem rather than a rusty black one, slightly narrower 42cm rather than 44cm bars and the shifters have been raised a bit. I also took the opportunity to fit new matching red/white Clarks brake pads as the old Jagwire ones were cracked and have probably been there since 1999.

Also a new tub went onto the Deerobust hillclimb wheels I picked up a few weeks ago with the other tub getting partial re-glueing. They'll be used for hillclimbs later this year.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
In the face of that, taking the scuffed stickers off my Brompton and fitting some new ones sounds a bit pathetic!

There’s nothing special about frame painting. Just preparation and then ensuring the paint doesn’t go where it’s not meant to. Much easier this time of year when coats are dry to touch after 15-20 mins.

Turned the 56 pound truck over and serviced the drivetrain. The only way to work on it is upside down unless you want to pull the chaincase off, my back will never be the same.

Lubing all the linkage and balancing the linked drums is fun too!

B95C4DC1-C06C-4A66-8BDD-72796CF344D1.jpeg

0B4A9A6B-C73E-43B0-BE17-5DEFA6503584.jpeg

A Consolidated PBY just flew over!... now there’s a rare old bird!
627DC612-05C3-48CD-88D2-42293B4456CB.jpeg

Cleaned everything on my Gravel bike then fitted a new chain and cassette to it. I then degreased the chain, muc off it and rinsed it before drying it off. I maybe could have reused the cassette but I wanted to try Squirt drip wax lube and it goes best I believe on clean degreased surfaces.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I watched a video on bike fit in which the fitter suggested that some people might benefit from rotating the shifters in slightly on drop bars. Not quite the same thing as the position achieved on those gravel bike bars that are wider on the drops than on the tops, but... kinda! I have turned the shifters in on my CAAD5 and will see what the bike feels like on a test ride. It looks odd, but if it feels more comfortable then I will stick with this setup.

I noticed that my saddle was a degree or two off pointing straight ahead so I have sorted that out. I also felt that I was sitting forward of the widest part of the saddle, which was pushed way back. I have now moved it forwards about 0.5 cm and will see how I get on with that.

The other thing I noticed was that the handlebar was ever so slightly off parallel to the front wheel hub. I have tried to sort that out but it is fiddly... QUESTION: Is there a clever way of getting that exactly right? I kept looking at it and felt that I might have moved it too far the other way!

Gunk

Guru
I watched a video on bike fit in which the fitter suggested that some people might benefit from rotating the shifters in slightly on drop bars. Not quite the same thing as the position achieved on those gravel bike bars that are wider on the drops than on the tops, but... kinda! I have turned the shifters in on my CAAD5 and will see what the bike feels like on a test ride. It looks odd, but if it feels more comfortable then I will stick with this setup.

I noticed that my saddle was a degree or two off pointing straight ahead so I have sorted that out. I also felt that I was sitting forward of the widest part of the saddle, which was pushed way back. I have now moved it forwards about 0.5 cm and will see how I get on with that.

The other thing I noticed was that the handlebar was ever so slightly off parallel to the front wheel hub. I have tried to sort that out but it is fiddly... QUESTION: Is there a clever way of getting that exactly right? I kept looking at it and felt that I might have moved it too far the other way!

Getting the bars parallel with the wheel is one of the most frustrating jobs, it is just trial and error

8mph

Veteran
16870803486232745765737939244306.jpg

Paid a friend to get these XT shifter/levers off my Peugeot Prestige 900 and onto the tourer, along with these XT v brakes + new cables + pads.
IMG_20230618_103125.jpg

Meanwhile I tried to unstick a seat post on the Peugeot and service the 1" threaded Rock Shox which it (bizarrely) came with, without success.

Eliminated annoying chain rub on the tourer's lowest gear by bending the mech with a pair of long nose pliers. Removed Marathon Mondials, fitted Conti Contact Travel tyres. Gave all moving parts a good scrub.

Will resume work on the Peugeot in a while. It's an interesting old frame with clearance for pretty wide tyres, maybe worthy of a build at some point.

Top Bottom