What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Saddle clamps recovered from the white vinegar, sludge wiped off, cleaned, given a brush with 3-in-1 and fitted. Saddle rails de-rusted with fine wire wool and 3-in-1, saddle surface and underside cleaned with proprietary kitchen degreaser, saddle fitted.
Front derailleur cleaned with said degreaser, rust removed with wire wool, scrubbed with 3-in-1,, polished with paper towel and fitted. New nut required for chain guide.

Gear cables fitted, with new length of gear outer for the rear derailleur. Brake levers fitted, new brake cable outers cut to size.
Finally on to wheels - it seemed like a wheel day. Cleaning showed a Suntour Perfect 14 - 24t freewheel. Plus Gas + effort broke it loose from the hub, without damaging the freewheel tool. Hurrah! Tyres cracking, but held together while removing to remove broken spoke. Fabric rim tape not so obliging. A dip into the Pit of Despair provides a replacement that needs to be shortened - FLBS on Saturday to use the communal spoke threader.

Gunk

Guru
Worked on a string of crappy BSO’s today and then a couple of Dawes 501 framed beauties were donated. I’ll start on this one next week.

IMG_4402.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I had to replace a rear brake cable today but the calipers wouldn't centre. I then noticed that the rear wheel was flopping about so I had to remove it and tighten the cone. The wheel nut was partially stripped so I had to find another one and replace it as well. What should have been a 10 minute job took me over an hour.

Gunk

Guru
I had to replace a rear brake cable today but the calipers wouldn't centre. I then noticed that the rear wheel was flopping about so I had to remove it and tighten the cone. The wheel nut was partially stripped so I had to find another one and replace it as well. What should have been a 10 minute job took me over an hour.

We have a running joke at work, “this won’t need much” means it will end up taking all day.

Top Bottom