What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Despite new pads and toe-ing in the canti pads on the CX bike, I'm still getting some unwanted fork judder. I can't fit a brake hanger on the forks, as there are no holes, so the hanger is on the steerer. This is an issue with canti's, so I've been to Decathlon and changed the 'shimano' straddle wire to a Tektro one with a more substantial 'bridge'. There is a lot less flex, so we will see if this fixes it.

C R

Guru
Despite new pads and toe-ing in the canti pads on the CX bike, I'm still getting some unwanted fork judder. I can't fit a brake hanger on the forks, as there are no holes, so the hanger is on the steerer. This is an issue with canti's, so I've been to Decathlon and changed the 'shimano' straddle wire to a Tektro one with a more substantial 'bridge'. There is a lot less flex, so we will see if this fixes it.

Alternatively, you could use the bosses to install proper brakes ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Alternatively, you could use the bosses to install proper brakes ;)

Off sod. It's a pukka CX bike. Performed very well fully loaded for the King Alfred Way despite bodging a rack to fit). We were a little 'under biked' with the weight of camping gear and muddy conditions.

I don't get any issues with my commuter on XT Canti's, but it's steel, and not alloy with carbon fork.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Frame given a once over with furniture polish, seat tube dismantled and broken securing pin replaced after one of the end nuts sheared the threaded end off! Mounts soaking in white vinegar for the rust. Stem and bars re-fitted, only to prove a bit ‘right wing low’. I suspect it was my efforts to shift said stem that resulted in a twist/bend. A dive into the Pit of Despair results in a replacement stem and drop bars, along with a white saddle to replace the yellow one the bike had been . . . saddled with. Knew I’d get rid of it eventually.

Not much today. Rusted nuts brass-wire-brushed on the brake callipers, brakes cleaned, drilled out two cable securing washers from the spares jar to fit, replacing the ad hoc ones that came with the bike. Brakes fitted.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As well as working on the Harry Perry the Raleigh SBDU frameset came out of the attic last month. It's sadly gained a big paint chip on the top tube which I'll have to sort out, but the build has started. The plan was downtube shifters but 10 speed so I can use it for retro events and also so the wheelset can be swapped with my 10-speed Woodrup that has modern shifters. Parts have been a bit spendy and I've still got to source a matching Dura-Ace 7900 rear brake and either a front derailleur clamp that fits (ordered) for the bolt-on 7900 front derailleur I have or preferably a clamp-on Dura-Ace 7900 that will fit (looking for this).

So ... over the past few days I've added:

PXL_20240914_145028970.jpg

- Dura-Ace 7900 crankset, with 50/34 chainrings plus Dura-Ace 9100 pedals.
- Dura-Ace 7900 downtube shifters.
- Dura-Ace 7900 rear derailleur.
- Dura-Ace 7900 front and Ultegra 8000 rear brakes.
- Cinelli 125mm stem plus Cinelli Giro D'Italia 64-40 40cm handlebars.
- I've used the drillium brake levers from the fake Guerciotti / Raleigh Team which were on 44cm Cinelli Giro D-Italia 64-44 bars (soon to be on eBay).
- Rino fluted seatpost with Italian colours (it fits, so best not to argue!).
- Currently a Bontrager Paradigm XXX saddle which is paper thin, carbon and temporary.
- It's currently got an American Classic 420 wheelset with 11-28 Dura-Ace cassette that'll be swapped with by Ridgeback Platinum's American Classic carbon wheelset once I pull that out of storage.

Once the front derailleur's done it'll be cables, chain, bar tape. Oh, and source some matching paint or mix it myself. The colour's a deep pink which I quite like.

One thing I've noticed is the finished bike will be light, very light. The combination of downtube shifters, a Reynolds 653 frameset and Dura-Ace 7900 has resulted in a lightweight build. I may throw on a pair of lightweight wheels to see the result; either the 1kg carbon tubs we have or there's a 1350g Exalith set floating about in the parts shed.

Last edited:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Looks great ! MTB pedals….Hmmmm…...new Winter beater ?

Thanks
Mtb clip ins
Yes winter bike is the plan

Jameshow

Veteran
As well as working on the Harry Perry the Raleigh SBDU frameset came out of the attic last month. It's sadly gained a big paint chip on the top tube which I'll have to sort out, but the build has started. The plan was downtube shifters but 10 speed so I can use it for retro events and also so the wheelset can be swapped with my 10-speed Woodrup that has modern shifters. Parts have been a bit spendy and I've still got to source a matching Dura-Ace 7900 rear brake and either a front derailleur clamp that fits (ordered) for the bolt-on 7900 front derailleur I have or preferably a clamp-on Dura-Ace 7900 that will fit (looking for this).

So ... over the past few days I've added:

View attachment 745392

- Dura-Ace 7900 crankset, with 50/34 chainrings plus Dura-Ace 9100 pedals.
- Dura-Ace 7900 downtube shifters.
- Dura-Ace 7900 rear derailleur.
- Dura-Ace 7900 front and Ultegra 8000 rear brakes.
- Cinelli 125mm stem plus Cinelli Giro D'Italia 64-40 40cm handlebars.
- I've used the drillium brake levers from the fake Guerciotti / Raleigh Team which were on 44cm Cinelli Giro D-Italia 64-44 bars (soon to be on eBay).
- Rino fluted seatpost with Italian colours (it fits, so best not to argue!).
- Currently a Bontrager Paradigm XXX saddle which is paper thin, carbon and temporary.
- It's currently got an American Classic 420 wheelset with 11-28 Dura-Ace cassette that'll be swapped with by Ridgeback Platinum's American Classic carbon wheelset once I pull that out of storage.

Once the front derailleur's done it'll be cables, chain, bar tape. Oh, and source some matching paint or mix it myself. The colour's a deep pink which I quite like.

One thing I've noticed is the finished bike will be light, very light. The combination of downtube shifters, a Reynolds 653 frameset and Dura-Ace 7900 has resulted in a lightweight build. I may throw on a pair of lightweight wheels to see the result; either the 1kg carbon tubs we have or there's a 1350g Exalith set floating about in the parts shed.

That's really going to mess with purists heads!🤣🤣🤣

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's really going to mess with purists heads!🤣🤣🤣
Possibly, but if it's toned down by more standard black wheels that'll help.
It’s a bit too restomod for me, the modern black crankset just doesn’t look right
The Dura-Ace 7900 groupset is dark silver with black, but it's noted. I did have a choice of a Campag Nuovo Record 6 speed groupset, which I've sold to go Dura-Ace 7900, or possibly 8-speed Dura-Ace 7400 however I'm trying to consolidate the bikes into 10 and 11 speed.

Top Bottom