What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
The Dura-Ace 7900 groupset is dark silver with black, but it's noted. I did have a choice of a Campag Nuovo Record 6 speed groupset, which I've sold to go Dura-Ace 7900, or possibly 8-speed Dura-Ace 7400 however I'm trying to consolidate the bikes into 10 and 11 speed.

IMO Dura ace 7700 9 speed is the sweet spot for a sympathetic restomod, it still looks old fashioned but feels modern, plus there’s enough gears to properly climb. Mine has been built up with a mixture of Dura Ace 7700 and Ultegra 6500.

IMG_4374.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Gunk - Dura-Ace 7800's not bad either with enough 'bling' to stand out. I've got that currently on the Ridgeback Platinum and it's worked perfectly for 15,000 miles. However, I do prefer the brake cables to be under bar tape so went 7900 this time.

DCLane

Given the rain in Yorkshire this morning I spent the time polishing the metalwork on the Harry Perry. It's come up a treat, even the not-so-shiny bits.

PXL_20240915_134402069.jpg

A quick test and I've had to conclude the height and reach is just too long for stumpy me, as it's a 23" frame, so I'm keeping my Raleigh SBDU instead. The Harry Perry will be headed to a sale site soon. It's lovely, but probably not as nice as the Raleigh.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
@Gunk - Dura-Ace 7800's not bad either with enough 'bling' to stand out. I've got that currently on the Ridgeback Platinum and it's worked perfectly for 15,000 miles. However, I do prefer the brake cables to be under bar tape so went 7900 this time.

I agree about the cables, I hate the gear cables coming outside the Brifters on that era of Shimano, just looks untidy

Gunk

Guru
I’ve neglected my Motorcycle, so degreased the chain, pumped up the tyres and gave it a wash.

IMG_4381.jpeg

IMG_4382.jpeg

I also replaced the 531 stickers on my Carlton, the frame transfer had been ruined with a pump and the fork decals were incorrect, these replacements were painfully expensive, but are correct for the 1979 model year.

IMG_4383.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

Gillstay

Veteran
Just bought this Ridgeback for £140. Its still got pips on the tyres. Its 9 x 3 and for a chum. Started in on it today and already struggling to work out what happened. I think the bike was built during covid. All the bits are good quality, and all perfect, like new. On the headstock the grease was just plopped in at one spot and has stayed there. The rear wheel spindle was so tight I had to put it in a big vice and have a large spanner on it to undo the nut as it just bent my normal cone spanners. So either built in a mad rush or by someone who was able to assemble bikes but not a good mechanic. Now have to take everything apart to check before problems appear later.

P1040288.JPG

DCLane

@Gillstay - is it possible that it's original and just hasn't been used? That looks original - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/touringaudax-bikes/ridgeback-voyage-first-ride

And the lack of grease doesn't surprise me. My first Ridgeback Platinum also suffered through lack of grease.

Gunk

Guru
And the lack of grease doesn't surprise me. My first Ridgeback Platinum also suffered through lack of grease.

We are getting a lot of ex covid bikes donated at the charity I volunteer at, these are virtually brand new bikes that have been ridden a handful of times, most have got completely dry bearings and virtually everything is overtightened.

Punkawallah

Ãœber Member
Not much today. Rusted nuts brass-wire-brushed on the brake callipers, brakes cleaned, drilled out two cable securing washers from the spares jar to fit, replacing the ad hoc ones that came with the bike. Brakes fitted.

Saddle clamps recovered from the white vinegar, sludge wiped off, cleaned, given a brush with 3-in-1 and fitted. Saddle rails de-rusted with fine wire wool and 3-in-1, saddle surface and underside cleaned with proprietary kitchen degreaser, saddle fitted.
Front derailleur cleaned with said degreaser, rust removed with wire wool, scrubbed with 3-in-1,, polished with paper towel and fitted. New nut required for chain guide.

Gillstay

Veteran
@Gillstay - is it possible that it's original and just hasn't been used? That looks original - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/touringaudax-bikes/ridgeback-voyage-first-ride

Yes I feel that is the case. I think it was done badly at the factory. There are still pips on the tyres. I am struggling to get the cranks off despite leaving them under pressure and soaking them in releasing agent. The BBK does not look like its quite fitted right so want that out to check it.
It will be a fab bike I am sure but just wants some proper care now before it does the miles.

si_c

Guru
Went out on the new bike yesterday, couple of minor niggles easily solved. Biggest issue was the massive thorn which went through the rear tire about a half mile from home. Was quicker to just walk home and fix it today than try at the side of the road.

Replaced the inner tube and put back on the bike, also ordered a new set of tyres as the old ones had already done some miles - the rear has a very pronounced flat spot - and had been sat in the garage for two years.

Gunk

Guru
I spent about 40 minutes this morning adjusting the barrel adjuster and limit screws getting my Carlton to shift perfectly.

Sometimes what you achieve on a stand with the bike not under load does not always transition on to the road, a quick spin around the block and it is now shifting really nicely.

Often with a new bike or fresh build the outer cables pull into the cable ends, a few miles and often the original set up deteriorates.

IMG_4397.jpeg

Top Bottom