What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Got the seat post out of a 501 tube Raleigh, with time, a touch or Plusgas, some heat and a vice.
Only the cranks, headset and BB to go.

We’ve got a bit of kit at work which is a long metal bar with a hacksaw blade welded in to a slot. We can then cut the post lengthways to remove it. Obviously this is the last resort, but I was assured yesterday it works.

Witzend

We’ve got a bit of kit at work which is a long metal bar with a hacksaw blade welded in to a slot. We can then cut the post lengthways to remove it. Obviously this is the last resort, but I was assured yesterday it works.

I tried this a few years ago after failing with heat/cold/metre-long Stillsons.
It took all day but I couldn't get through the last bit so had to resort to the ABSOLUTE last resort and cut it off as low as possible and hammer the remainder into the frame with the bit I cut off.
Thankfully for me, there was still enough space left for another seatpost.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fitting new pads to the CX bike, in advance of tomorrow's departure for KAW, revealed the 'post' on one of the canti's had started to crack inside the pad carrier (i.e. the top of the T). Looks like there was some corrosion. Decided not to take chances and replace all four pads. Decathlon and Halfords only had 'cheap' moulded pads. Fortunately, the LBS, Wills Wheels, had some decent Clarks Elite pads.

iandg

Legendary Member
I've been making a bike trailer to tow spare bikes to schools for bikeability sessions. Used frame from an old child trailer, some boxed aluminium, fork holders and a couple of roof bars that we used to use when we had a Volvo. Bike carriers can be removed and I'm looking for a way to attach the large red bread basket so it can also be used as a cargo trailer.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-05 at 13.32.41_70c64121.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-05 at 13.32.42_ac9f2d90.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-05 at 13.32.42_faee1d2c.jpg

Punkawallah

Über Member

I’m trying to avoid ‘destructive dismantling’, despite the bike owing me nothing - or perhaps because of it. I had hoped it would last me a good while :-)

I've been making a bike trailer to tow spare bikes to schools for bikeability sessions. Used frame from an old child trailer, some boxed aluminium, fork holders and a couple of roof bars that we used to use when we had a Volvo. Bike carriers can be removed and I'm looking for a way to attach the large red bread basket so it can also be used as a cargo trailer.

View attachment 744014

View attachment 744015

View attachment 744016
Nice bit of ingenuity.

I could do with something like that; four bikes to transport to the local bike charity. I have the box a new bike has just been delivered in, so I was thinking about partially dismantling each bike to fit the box and then strapping that to the trailer and making four trips.

But your solution is way better.

New winter / trailer lugging / touring bike (Felt Broam) was delivered this afternoon. I've unboxed it already.

So far I've swapped the stock front wheel for a Hunt 4 Seasons Superdura and fitted two bottle cages. I think I'm going to have to swap out the bars as I don't like the short/compact drops on the stock ones. Other than that, I've got to swap the back wheel, seat post, saddle, fit the mudguards and pannier rack.

Oh and clean the factory grease off the chain and re-lube it. Hoping to have it in service next week, if not by the weekend.

Last edited:

View attachment 744014

View attachment 744015

View attachment 744016

Some proper up-cycling going on there :notworthy:

Gunk

Guru
It was chucking down yesterday and I wanted to just finish off a couple of jobs on my project bike. I’ve used a bench mounted stand for a couple of years now, but the way it is mounted means that it’s only suitable for building up frame sets, minus the wheels.

So I moved it forward on the bench and with my foam covered bars fitted, it now works as a quick easy to use stand, not as good as my workshop stand but still very useful.

With a pedal removed (as clearance is a bit tight) was even able to set up the indexing.

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg

Top Bottom