What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Titanium bolts fitted. Yup: you can’t even really see them. But I know they’re there…..😉

Centre cap fitted to fill the ugly hole in the middle of the crank on the drive side.

Under seat bag removed. Another Carbon cage fitted. And all puncture kit / tools transferred over to a Zefal tool bottle.

Charge Spoon seat fitted. “Luckily” the logo and trim are just the right matching colour 😄

IMG_5296.jpeg

Witzend

Cranks gave in to Plusgas and heat.

I've seen you mention this a few times now and it's caught my interest as I'd not heard of it beforehand.
For years I've been trying to find a source for Rapid-Eze. When I was a kid, my father had some and it was truly unbelievable how it freed off nuts and bolts that looked beyond hope.
If anyone remembers, it was in a similar shaped tin to this:
Screenshot504.png

but white with blue lettering and a picture of a rusted nut & bolt on one side and supposedly the same one separated on the other. Couldn't see them going out of business due to the efficacy of their product, so thought maybe it was some health & safety reason that took it out of circulation.
Can I take it that PlusGas is a worthy successor?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
splashed out £3 for a new gear cable which installed very easily but i noticed no matter how i tweak the setup the 50x11 gear although works fine is not perfectly quiet , not that i use that gear ratio erm ever .
Noticed the chain could do with being a link or two longer as it doesnt like big/big so when its due i will make it slightly longer.I will have to keep a look out for a bargain ht 2 BB next month .

Punkawallah

Über Member
I've seen you mention this a few times now and it's caught my interest as I'd not heard of it beforehand.
For years I've been trying to find a source for Rapid-Eze. When I was a kid, my father had some and it was truly unbelievable how it freed off nuts and bolts that looked beyond hope.
If anyone remembers, it was in a similar shaped tin to this:
View attachment 744266
but white with blue lettering and a picture of a rusted nut & bolt on one side and supposedly the same one separated on the other. Couldn't see them going out of business due to the efficacy of their product, so thought maybe it was some health & safety reason that took it out of circulation.
Can I take it that PlusGas is a worthy successor?

Sorry, the only information I can offer is PlusGas (Formula A) Dismantling Spray, by Saint-Gobain Abrasives of Stafford, England. It comes in a spray can, and while not cheap, seem to seep into joins where WD40 would sit on top.
P.S. Am viewing your freewheel tool collection from afar, and with envious eyes :-)

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
BB came away without a hitch :-)
It appears the headset is stuck in the fork tube :-(
The usual has not budged it, next step seal up one end and fill the void with white vinegar.

PlusGas (and vice) to the rescue, once again. Headset removed, just the wedge to go - currently have the fork tube soaking in white vinegar, along with some rusted nuts and the head tube cups.
Frame officially dismantled, wheels next, will have a look at the chainring in the interim to see if those bolts are seized.

Witzend

Sorry, the only information I can offer is PlusGas (Formula A) Dismantling Spray, by Saint-Gobain Abrasives of Stafford, England. It comes in a spray can, and while not cheap, seem to seep into joins where WD40 would sit on top.
P.S. Am viewing your freewheel tool collection from afar, and with envious eyes :-)

Yep - same stuff.
s-l501.jpg
£12-75 for 500ml tin online (non-aerosol for a good soak). I'll get some ordered.
Thanks.

As for the tools - I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Witzend

I got these over 2yrs ago to ease the burden on my ageing Ortliebs.
s-l500.jpg
Just £7-99 each from Fred Salmon's online shop - with internal reinforcement and shoulder straps included, but sadly no protection on the base. I had been using duct tape until I saw these.
s-l960.jpg
A blob of sealant around the holes to maintain waterproofing plus a dab of superglue on the plastic threads to stop them coming loose and job jobbed.
SC_0294.jpg

An added bonus is they now stand up by themselves, but still fit one inside the other when heading out empty on shopping/foraging trips.

Jameshow

Veteran
After getting home a few days ago to find commuter had been ridden (confession received) and crashed or otherwise damaged in the garage (strenuously denied)...

View attachment 743942

... and then found myself climbing a 1:5 without bottom gear because the gear hanger was bent...

...grrrr...

...All fettled and working now, thanks to LBS for tip of using hairspray to lubricate new hood.

Hope the riders ok?🤕🤕🤕

Punkawallah

Über Member
PlusGas (and vice) to the rescue, once again. Headset removed, just the wedge to go - currently have the fork tube soaking in white vinegar, along with some rusted nuts and the head tube cups.
Frame officially dismantled, wheels next, will have a look at the chainring in the interim to see if those bolts are seized.

The wedge just about fell out of the fork tube after a day soaking in white vinegar. Chainring bolts un-seized (Hoorah!). Not feeling ‘wheel’ inclined, I took a Dremel-a-like to the rust on various brake calliper bolts, the chainring bolts, various nuts & spacers for the headset, and a bloody big B&D with an abrasive disk to the head tube cups - both were rusted to pitting. Finished off with 3-in-One and brass-wire brushing followed by Oily Rag (tm), and replaced the cups.
White vinegar down frame tubes, clean and T-cut frame, scratch (gouge) in paintwork sanded and nail varnished.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Pulled the old BB on the alloy baordman today in readiness for replacement and it has earnt its keep , got to be about 8 years old and its done a lot of miles .
managed to find a tiagra BB for £13 so i have flogged a few bits on facefluff to fund it .
Next up will be the chain thats a little to short , i have a stock of 11 speed chains so can i use one of them on a 10 speed setup ?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Pulled the old BB on the alloy baordman today in readiness for replacement and it has earnt its keep , got to be about 8 years old and its done a lot of miles .
managed to find a tiagra BB for £13 so i have flogged a few bits on facefluff to fund it .
Next up will be the chain thats a little to short , i have a stock of 11 speed chains so can i use one of them on a 10 speed setup ?

Not as far as I know - the 11 speed links should be too narrow to fit the 10 speed teeth. But as I don’t use them, I’m only going on ‘hearsay”.

Top Bottom