What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Having checked my floor to crotch measurement and finding it was almost 1cm shorter than last time I measured (as I get older I'm shrinking, just under 5'5"now - I used to be 5'7" 'in my prime') I Iowered the saddle height on both my e-road bikes. It was also preparation for my first ride out on a bike since emergency abdominal surgery 8 + weeks ago. All straight forward on the alloy bike, but I needed to shorten the carbon seatpost on the other carbon framed bike as it was being fouled by a bottle cage mount. I'd never completely removed the seatpost on this bike which has a wedge to hold the post firm, and as I pulled the post out the wedge disappeared down the seat tube! Fortunately, perhaps, the bottle cage mounting stopped it falling all the way to the bottom bracket. I turned the bike over and shook it but no way would the wedge fall out. Eventually with the aid of many expletives I fished it out with a suitably bent piece of coat hanger wire. All this took way, way longer than actually cutting the post. Getting the wedge back in at the same time as the post was a bit of a nightmare too.

Cleaned and lubed the commuter, so its forecasted to chuck it down today. At least I made it to the station in the dry.
20240705_070006.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been putting tyres onto wheels, still some more to do.

And there's been rationalisation with mine and son no. 2's bikes. Two are currently on sale (fixie/grasstrack and vintage) with one to go on sale (TT). This afternoon I stripped the fake Guerciotti / Raleigh Team (?) and the frame plus two forks will go on sale shortly. For the moment I'll keep the components but they may also go as well.

EckyH

Tried to silence the saddle-seatpost-region with some chain wax.
Saddle is a Brooks Cambium C15, seatpost is a Ritchey Classic with setback, clamp is a Hope and the frame is a Surly Preamble.
It's quiet on smooth surfaces but if there are some undulations on the road or other reasons for a bumping bum the stuff still squeaks.

Ok, will sleuth after that tomorrow until one of the suspects admits to be the culprit.

E.

Gwylan

Veteran
Off piste fettling.
I don't know the story, but the client made it clear I should not mention anything about the job to her present husband.
Read between the lines and make it up.
IMG_20240705_163140115.jpg

Foolishly I didn't take a before photo.

But it was a pile of about 50 pieces when I started. Needed the headset with light and magnifier.

The rest is a collection of dark secrets

KneesUp

Guru
Adjusted the mudguards on my main bike so the toe overlap is (almost) eliminated by using slimmer stay fixings of another pair. Also discovered that the reason the front brake judders is because the cable hanger for the front brake is for a 1 1/8 fork not a 1” fork so it’s held in place by the headset lock nut and nothing else, so will replace that.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’ve had a prolonged sabbatical from Social Media, Forums etc. But I have been doing a fair bit of riding 😎 And getting a fair few punctures 🤦‍♂️

Cuttently got Schwalbe BigBens on my daily Hybrid - with a puncture protection layer. Today (Wet, miserable - no I’m not about to ride) I thought I’d use the time to install some tyre liners from HellFrauds. Used an old tube as a sleeve at the overlap point to stop any issues from movement, ‘sharp’ edges, rubbing etc

Man this strip is thick / heavy ! At this point though: I don’t give a s*#t about weight. I just wanna spend less time fixing flats and more time riding…..

Hoping this helps / sorts my poor luck (?) recently.

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4268.jpeg
    IMG_4268.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 12

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Could tyre pressure be the problem?

Too low is normally quoted as the issue from research. Is this what you’re leading toward ?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Instead of investigating the squeaking noises I decided to make some noise myself when it's allowed (in Germany it's forbidden to use loud machines on Sundays), drilled 12 holes in the garage and attached six bicycle hangers there.

E.

Hanging for a little squeaking noise is a bit of an over reaction, isn't it?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
P
It would be my go-to. We had a chap keep coming in with punctures on his mountain bike. Turns out the only time his tyres were pumped was when we fixed his puncture.

I’m 15 stone. Without clothes or gear 🤣 I’ve been running 85psi…….most of my miles being tarmac based.

All the recent spate of flats have been single (Thorn ?) type ‘pricks’. Ie: No double snakebite jobs, tears, rips or other…….a couple had barely penetrated the tube - causing VERY slow releases of air. And i’ve completed all the rides they occurred on without even knowing. Only finding out days later when I went to dig the bike out again.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
one of my cycling shoes is creaking when riding even with the cleat tension at max even though the cleats look in good nick ( sh 51s ) as i cant see any real wear on them apart from the black paint being worn off .The shoes are pretty much new i reckon they have done no more than 500 miles .
I managed to get the bolts out cack handed and put some no name copies on and i had to dial the tension right back to click in and it solved the noise .

Top Bottom