What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Can’t claim it as ‘fettled’, yet, still waiting for the patch to dry on an inner tube, for the third attempt. Wish me luck.

Thanks - obviously did the trick :-)
Or at least the wheel is back on, and the tyre is not flat yet.

8mph

Veteran
I've swapped out this huge stem for something smaller, with more rise.

IMG_20240629_192406.jpg

It's a better fit in terms of weight distribution and the angle at which I can set the butterfly bars is improved. I haven't taken it for a proper ride yet but the bike looks and feels much more compact.

IMG_20240629_192433.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yesterday two brand new folding tyres arrived for the Dawes Sardar. I fitted an old tyre to the rear and one of the folding tyres to the front, which immediately looked slightly off center. I checked the bead, took it for what felt like a slightly wobbly ride to the shops, decided to reinvestigate in the morning.

The tyre has been on and off the rim several times now, rim tape checked, fitted with new, narrower tube, tried washing up liquid, manipulating the tyre every which way. Eventually unboxed the second folding tyre, which mounted fine first time.

The old budget Kenda tyres are off and the bike now has an old 2" Continental Contact Travel on the rear and a new 1.75" on the front. I've had a few wonky Contis over the years, not sure if it's just bad luck or quality control.

On a plus note the tyres were on sale, 50% off (SJS)

Use Talc, the 'hook' has not gone into the 'clincher' part of the rim

8mph

Veteran
Use Talc, the 'hook' has not gone into the 'clincher' part of the rim

Thank, despite yesterday's post I am unconvinced that the tyre is in fact faulty. I cannot find any inconsistencies in the bead, compound or carcass.

By the time I had a different tyre seated I was ready for a break, I might try fitting the second tyre on the rear. I've ordered 1.25 / 1.75 inner tube and think I'll probably wait for that to arrive before having another go.

Conrad_K

I finished my trike stand. It's a T-shaped wooden frame that clamps into a Black & Decker Workmate table. I unloaded the trike from the back of my truck, where it normally resides under the cargo cover, and onto the stand.

The previous owner had shorter legs than I do, which caused some knee pain on longer rides. While the trike was on the stand I moved the seat back about an inch since the chain was already quite taut and I didn't have any spare chain or master links. Adjusting the seat meant I had to make various adjustments to the luggage rack.

While I was at it, I tilted the handlebars from slightly-in to vertical, so I get a little extra room for my thighs in tight turns. This meant having to re-clock the brake lever (right hand, double cable) and re-route the cables so my fingers didn't hit the tire when reaching for the brake.

Though the adjustments were small, a test ride showed they made a surprising (to me, anyway) difference.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Fitted a new T30 bolt to my 105 5800 chainring.

I hamfistedly messed one up the other day whilst doing some routine tightness checking! :ohmy:

£4 for a full set of 4 posted from a nearby cycle shop. They came off a stripped down but new R7000 set - exactly the same bolts.

£14.50 online for a sealed bag Shimano set - without postage!

Punkawallah

Über Member
De-cluttered an ex electric bike, that had the hybrid wheels replaced by 26” MTB wheels and the crankset by a MTB triple, with nowhere to fit a derailleur . . .
Lost the plywood and angle iron rack platform, the rack (which was interfering with the brakes) and the rear mudguard (interfering with the tyre) the non-working bell, some random platform at the chain stays, bar grips and electric twist grip control, and the seat post (battery pack fittings?).
Replaced the rusted chain, rear derailleur cable/outer, rear brake cable/outer, rear brake pads, bar grips and ends. Brought the tyres up to pressure.
It rides, and stops, and the gears work (thank you Shimano SIS), but please, Mummy, I don’t want to do that anymore!

buzz22

Über Member
My 1987 Repco Eurosport Tri A received another drivelane change.
The rear cassette is now a 13-32, giving me a lower gear than the previous 13-28.
The hub is a Shimano Uniglide so I had to file back the larger HG tabs to fit in the splines for the older style hub.
20240702_162018.jpg

The bike is a lot more usable than when I first got it with the 42/52 front and 13-25 6 speed rear (below).
20230507_110322.jpg

The new gearing will allow me to tackle "The Wall" in Beloka in the alpine region of NSW as part of our our annual "Beat the Burn" charity event to raise money for the Burns Unit of the Sydney Children's Hospital.
It is a 3km climb with the first km never below 10% gradient and peaking at 23%.
It beat me this year but I'm set for next year now.

si_c

Guru
Replaced the rear gear cable on the Kinesis - it had slipped out of position in the shifter and it was easier to cut it out and fit a new one. Also stripped down the rear hub on the spare wheelset for the Trek and repacked the bearings as there was a little play.
Finally added sealant to both wheels on the Kinesis as it had been a while.

Also made the cat a new scratcher using offcuts of the carpet from the stairs which she loves to dig into (it's Sisal, poor choice with a moggie, but Mrs C didn't listen) which of course she has studiously ignored thus far.

Gwylan

Veteran
In response to domestic pressure I was diverted into servicing the management's sewing scissors.
The ultimate test for fine scissors is leaving a perfect cut ehen cutting through a wet tissue. Odd the things that we pick up as we go along.
Put that down as a result.

Now it's raining and I originally went to the shed to get my bike to give it a soapy wash.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I checked my Devon bike yesterday, before the first ride of my current holiday. There were no serious problems with it. I just topped up the tyre pressures, cleaned and lubed the chain, and adjusted the disc brakes.

I do still have one minor niggle with the bike... I used to wear a backpack when riding this bike but have now fitted a saddlebag to hold my phone, spares and most tools. The bike pump doesn't fit in that though so I have mounted it on a holder bolted beneath the rear bottle cage. The problem is that it is ever so slightly too far out from the seat tube. My left calf was brushing against the pump every now and then, which irritated me. I think that moving the pump in a few mm would put a stop to that. It looks like 5-7 mm improvement would be possible by drilling new mounting holes in the holder. I will try to sort that out later***.

*** If the bracket mod doesn't work, I might move the pump to under the top tube and use velcro straps/cable ties/rubber bands/(whatever) to hold it there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom