What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am going to lower the stem by one spacer tomorrow to see how that feels. I think that will make a big difference.
I lowered the handlebar by one spacer today (1 cm?) and my position on the bike felt much more comfortable. I won't know for sure though until I have done a ride of 60+ km, because that was about how far I could ride before my left shoulder started playing up.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Cleaned up the years of grime and gunk on the rear dia compe rear caliper so it functions again.
Also fitted a new inner cable whilst I was in the area .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Genesis Volant 30 I picked up yesterday got different tyres (Panaracer 28mm) and pedals (SPD's for commuting) - the tyres were from my Fuji Track grasstrack racer, which meant putting some cyclocross tyres on that, and the pedals from the fake Guerciotti / Raleigh Mk 6 Professional I've used for commuting for the past couple of days.

Mudguards on, stem lowered, bars adjusted and I'll do a proper fit Saturday/Sunday ready for commuting duty next week.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Set up my wheel truing stand today that the Fragrant MrsP bought me for my birthday a while ago. Needed to trim the wheels on a Dawes Kingpin.
IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
The Genesis Volant 30 I picked up yesterday got different tyres and pedals - the tyres were from my Fuji Track grasstrack racer, which meant putting some cyclocross tyres on that, and the pedals from the fake Guerciotti / Raleigh Mk 6 Professional I've used for commuting for the past couple of days.

Mudguards on, stem lowered, bars adjusted and I'll do a proper fit Saturday/Sunday ready for commuting duty next week.

I was tempted by this!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1690390604774712/?ref=facebook_story_share

Almost went after work to buy it but thought I'd get it in the neck!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This morning and early afternoon was spent cleaning & lubing the chains on all of the fleet and giving them a bit of a frame & wheel clean as it's not been done for a while. All was going well until the it became the e-bike's turn and the cleaning rag kept snagging - a quick check found this on the inside of the chain...
1697235849054.png

It's the second time this has happened on this chain (the first was replaced with a quick link) since new about 1600 miles ago so the chain was replaced with a new SRAM PC1110. This has brought up more problems as, having test ridden it on a shopping trip, the gears now won't change down properly (going up is fine) and trying all the usual fixes makes no difference - why simply putting on a new chain with no other changes has caused this I have no idea.
This evening I have finally managed to bodge a set of cheap Chinese mudguards onto the folder despite the supplied fork bolt being too short, only one of the four stays having been sent plus my bike having disc brakes buggering up the routing for the stays and the rear bridge bolt hole on the bike being underneath where the guards need a rearward facing bolt.

EckyH

Have you ever cleaned the chain with washing-up liquid?

Context: an acquaintance of mine had a broken SRAM chain, too. As he complained that, SRAM asked him that question. Seriously.

E.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Took the Genesis Volant 30 I picked up on Thursday out for a test-ride. All good except the stem and seatpost bolts were rusty and difficult to adjust. So ... new bolts added all round which makes it look less scruffy. The bottle cage was also re-located to the downtube and the reflectors removed, being kept for resale. Lights on and it's ready for commuting duty tomorrow.

Top Bottom