What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
IMG_2963.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borderlands_(2013_film)

Watched on the BBC iPlayer last night - good scary film !

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Starwars: Rogue One

Excellent movie. Though the inclusion of Donnie Yen doing martial arts was a rather strange thing to have in starwars and semi out of place though the scenes were very well choreographed and performed, Along with his partner Baze both of them seem to bring about a little 'family oriented' comedy (and i say family orientated as its a disney franchise now...) which breathes a little life and adds a sort of alternative direction to what would of been a straight 1:1 retelling of the older movies that have come to pass. Im sure this movie has somewhat divided the fanbase between the ones that love it and the ones that hate it but I enjoyed it because to me it was like a modern re-imagining of starwars.

For a side Character, Id go as far as saying that Donnie Yen almost stole the show!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Im watching one of my favourite British films ever,Dead mans shoes.Absolutley love this film.

Brillian film. Consadine is even more menacing than Carlyle's Begbie thoguh all the cast are excellent. Wasn't it made for about fourpence in a couple weeks?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
On a recent tip/inspiration from someone hereabouts, In the Heat of the Night. Fantastic. When Right & Wrong seem so clear, it takes real talent to mine the rich seam that is ambiguity. Rod Steiger was well worth his Oscar, as was the movie. At least 8/10. At least.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We watched a terrific film but there's some confusion about the title. It was released in Australia as 'The Mule' while over here, it carries the title of 'The Smuggler' but as there was already a film of the same name, you may have trouble finding it. It's only star of note is Hugo Weaving. It features a slow-witted man who's presented with the 'player of the year' award for some sport we never see being played. He's been given the award along with a trip to Bangkok for a nefarious reason and that's to dupe him into bringing back...well, you get the picture what with the title and that.

On his arrival back in Australia he's nervous for no reason at all and is almost through the door and home free after lying his suitcase has been lost but a well-meaning friend on the same flight sees his case and shouts out that he has it, which makes the customs people suspicious and then they've got him. He refuses their suggestion of an abdominal x-ray so they babysit him in a hotel room until he voids his stomach and then they've got him. But he hangs on and on and on and on! You have to see it to find out what happens.

A creditable 6/10 from me with overtones of much higher but of course, that's NEVER allowed is it?

Drago

Legendary Member
Hell or High Water.

Mesmerising performance from Jeff Bridges, and a stunning performance from Chris Pine who proves with a vengeance that he can in fact act. Simple, but compelling plot.

Absolutely brilliant, 9.5/10.

X-Men Apocalypse.
Looks good, rewrites everything, gives Sansa Stark a new career for when Game of Thrones ends, doesn't bear much resemblance to the comics and has a totally predictable ending.
5/10 and good luck rebuilding the landmarks. NEXT!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
13th - a superb Netflix documentary on the US's substitution of incarceration for slavery as a way of keeping black people under control and exploitable. Quite gobsmacking. Very well put together, skilfully combining historical footage with well-informed interviews with excellent use of graphics and a sober recitation of hard facts to tell the grim story of how America's prison population has grown from a pretty stable 300,000 +/- throughout the 20th Century up to the launch of Nixon's War on Drugs to over 2 million today. Here's Nixon's right hand man John Erlichman, quoted in the film:

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Remember 'innocent until proven guilty'? Well, what proportion of America's prisoners has ever stood trial? 3%. That's not a misprint. Three per cent. 97% are jailed following plea bargains that run roughly: 'You can take 30 years at trial or three now. What's it to be?'

An extraordinary film. And a terrible indictment of a country that, with 1 in 20 of the world's population, holds 1 in 4 of its prisoners.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Prime Video)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGmTdo3vuY

More Iranian film, (and more Iranian horror film at that) for me this week. This doesn't have quite the immediacy of Under the Shadow, with a lot of art film-esque lingering at times. For all that though, the performances are great, and the visuals terrific. The film is shot in black and white, and the photography is wonderful; dramatic, high contrast stuff, and some really striking images (the female lead looking cobra like as she hunts her prey, for instance). Tension is managed very well, as is potentially goofy stuff like her skateboarding around "bad city"[1], which produces some really striking imagery of her gliding through the frame. Not a choice that would suit everyone (I think Under the Shadow has more universal appeal) but this is really interesting, and inventive.

[1] I'm told this is an homage to Persepolis

Leaway2

Lycrist
Allied. 5/10 Very underwhelmed. Brad Pitt as a Canadian pilot in the RAF, doing basically what he wants. He appears to have a personal RAF car. All the houses with no blackout. etc etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
I watched 4 films flying to San Francisco yesterday...

A streetcat named Bob which was excellent, bitter sweet...will read the book which inspired the film when I get home

Lalaland...ok, fine for a plane, glad I didn't pay £12 to see at the cinema...not sure what all the hype was about. Very short, kind of abrupt ending... and confirmed that Ryan Gosling does nothing for me

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them...Harry Potter, again enjoyable (probably not as good as the HP films, but certainly watchable), that would have been better on a big screen

Doctor Strange...ok, but hard to follow for my tired brain as was very late UK time by then...worth watching if you like the Superhero type stuff. Didn't realise it was Benedict Cumberbatch until the end credits, thought he was familiar :blush:

Way back, I plan to watch Manchester by the Sea, hoping they have Moonlight on for April and whatever else takes my fancy...probably Bridget Jones Baby again once the 'crazy night flight tiredness but still can't sleep for love nor money' kicks in!

Top Bottom