What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Jaws II.

Not quite as good as the first, but still leagues ahead of the dross that followed. Roy Scheider still manages to ratchet up the paranoia to stress factor 9.

7/10.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Resident Evil: The final chapter. Lasted about 10 minutes then skipped to the end to see what happened. ttlblxs

Haitch

Flim Flormally
The Day will Come.

A good film about a disturbing subject. Child abuse in an orphanage and the authorities that perpetuate it. If there had been an applecart on the way home I would have been mightily tempted to overturn it. Similar treatment in many respects as Me, Danny Blake, but better. Can't find a trailer in English, so an opportunity to brush up your Danish.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK_Q5TO4O8A

Drago

Legendary Member
Arrival.

The biggest load of slow moving cliché'd balls I've seen in a long time. Far too long, far to many slow mo shots of the lead actresses face. Honestly, one of the Fastly Furiously films has more substance that this load of over CGI'd, improbable, arty sheet.

2/10, and it only gets that because of Forest Whittaker (although its clear there was no mention of an actual plot when he read the original pay cheque) and cos the leading actress is quite cute.

gbb

Squire
Sugar Mountain..courtesy of Netflix.

Very very like A Simple Plan if you've ever seen that.

Small Alaskan community, two brothers, one girlfriend, all enduring poverty and debt devise a plan to solve all their problems. But it all slowly goes wrong and spirals out of control as their lies grow...and one of them learns he is the subject of family lies...
Slow burner, I enjoyed it. 7/10

AndyRM

XOXO
Blood Diamond - 6/10

Great performances from the leading chaps, let down by a story which starts well but soon goes down a very predictable path. That said, it's a tale worth telling and I think it's a good thing that important messages are considered in "mainstream" films.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lifeforce

Barmy space vampire stuff that's a weird mixture of terrible and great. No classic, by any means, but worth revisiting if you've not seen it in a while. Just be prepared for the terribly slow middle section, and the often rapid changes in quality of special effects.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Manhattan. Haven't see it in 20+ years but boy does it stand up. The intro and outro sections with the vistas of New York backed by Gershwin must be among the most ravishing scenes ever committed to celluloid, and the b/w looks great throughout. Well-crafted movie on every level, with a razor-sharp script and some wonderful performances, not least by the old cradle-snatcher himself. A perfect snapshot of a bygone age and a very particular place. 8+/10.

keithmac

Guru
Patriots Day (Mark Wahlberg).

Wasn't expecting much but this was a very watchable film about the bombings at the Boston Marathon in 2013 and how the Police / FBI went after the suspects.

True story which instantly makes it more involving.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The Accountant.

Absolute dross and a waste of bytes.

*iss poor acting from the entire cast. Poor characterisation and an unhinged plot-line.

Would've rather have watched something from Ant & Dec, Alan Carr, David Walliams or Keith Lemon on a Saturday night - and something has to be really bad for that motley crew to be a viable alternative.

Thank god MOTD came on shortly after we finished watching the film. :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Grapes of Wrath, with a young Henry Fonda as Tom Joad, breaking parole and joining his Oakie family on the desperate exodus to the false-promised land of California after being driven off their land by the dustbowl of the '30s. Gut-wrenching portrayal of life and death with no unions, welfare, or safety net of any kind - brilliantly written, directed and acted, and a fully worthy homage and tribute to a landmark novel. 8. At least.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Under the Shadow (netflix)
Comparisons with the Babadook are inevitable, given the film's focus on a young mother who finds herself suddenly alone, dealing with a child who can be difficult. What this film does though, is mix in the peril of its characters living through the Iran-Iraq war, in a Tehran under bombardment. Not only that, the regime's cultural repression is a lurking presence throughout - leading to one particularly memorable, tense scene in which the terrified, fleeing protagonists are detained for being inappropriately dressed. Obviously made on a small budget, but done with invention and a keen eye for a sense of dread. Interesting as well is its use of an Islamic millieu, not often seen in horror film.

Not a film for the "I watched a minute of this and switched it off" merchants, as it builds intensity and dread steadily and deliberately, but undoubtedly my main feature this week - all the more impressive as Babak Anvari's first feature (as both writer and director!). Sadly, the Netflix version has been dubbed incongruously into English, with strong US accents. It says a lot for the film that it's engrossing and disturbing despite that.

Top Bottom