What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Hunt for the Wilderpeople - 7/10

Funny, charming, sad in places, clichéd in others, though without being annoying with it, tells the story of a boy and his foster father getting stranded in the bush prompting a national manhunt across New Zealand. Does require a bit of belief suspension, but what story doesn't? Well worth a watch, and certainly a more uplifting tale than Witness for the Prosecution which we watched last night.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
La La Land.

La La Loved it.

Not sure the ending fits my definition of 'feel good' but nonetheless a brilliant confection.

RWright

Guru
Patriots Day
About the Boston Marathon bombing and the capturing of the suspects. Lots of action, I thought it was very good. Many of the actors looked a lot like the real life people they were playing. Some intense and emotional moments. One of the better movies I have watched in a while but with some very graphic violence scenes, so it may not be for everyone.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Patriots Day
About the Boston Marathon bombing and the capturing of the suspects. Lots of action, I thought it was very good. Many of the actors looked a lot like the real life people they were playing. Some intense and emotional moments. One of the better movies I have watched in a while but with some very graphic violence scenes, so it may not be for everyone.

I saw that last week in the US, thought it was very good too. Quite disturbing in places.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
la la land.

Must admit I didn't really like it, although that's not to say it's a bad film

Good points: brilliant filming if (especially) the opening scene which is an amazing song-and-dance ultra long take. Surely it was stitched together but a great piece of craftsmanship all the same. Also enjoyed the fantasy song-and-dance scens. Both leads acted well, the girl especially good. However neither lead can sing, the bloke was woefull and the actual dancing and choreography nothing special - compared to any scene from Oklahoma or even Bugsy Malone. The songs nothing special either. Strange shifts of pace and style too.

Overall I didn't really like it, though did have some good points. As someone upthread said - rating it higher than singin' in the rain is simply silly even if you liked it more than I did.

AndyRM

XOXO
la la land.

Must admit I didn't really like it, although that's not to say it's a bad film

Good points: brilliant filming if (especially) the opening scene which is an amazing song-and-dance ultra long take. Surely it was stitched together but a great piece of craftsmanship all the same. Also enjoyed the fantasy song-and-dance scens. Both leads acted well, the girl especially good. However neither lead can sing, the bloke was woefull and the actual dancing and choreography nothing special - compared to any scene from Oklahoma or even Bugsy Malone. The songs nothing special either. Strange shifts of pace and style too.

Overall I didn't really like it, though did have some good points. As someone upthread said - rating it higher than singin' in the rain is simply silly even if you liked it more than I did.

The opening is made of 3 shots stitched, 2 from a crane and one from a steadicam. The stitches are done during the two really sharp pans.

Other stuff that's pretty cool:

The dents you can see in the cars? Real, from different takes.

They actually did it. The traffic below is on open freeway. I didn't believe this at first, knowing first hand the hell of LA traffic, but that bit of road can be closed off with relatively minor disruption.

AndyRM

XOXO
Eddie the Eagle - 7/10

Ticks every schmaltzy inspirational sports cliché in the book but is still great fun to watch. SophRM and I had a bet about how long it would take them to mention the Jamaican bobsleigh team of the same era. She won, and I was disappointed that my prediction of a CGI John Candy never materialised in the crowd.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Miller's Crossing (Netflix)
Although I've seen this several times, I've not watched it recently, and was pleased to have the chance to revisit it this week. Part of that amazing run of Coen Brothers films that takes in Barton Fink, Fargo and The Big Lebowski, this was better than I remember it.

I recall Gabriel Byrne's crafty fixer running rings around the lumbering power players, but noticed on this rewatch that he's wrong footed by things he should have seen coming almost as much as they are. Fantastic performances too, Albert Finney's wounded but dangerous crime boss is a particular favourite for me. Dare I point out that lies and half truths unsettling established power structures, and causing mayhem in people's lives seems somewhat topical too? Well worth catching up with if you've not seen it in a while.

Bone Tomahawk (Netflix)
Terrific horror western (imagine The Searchers crossed with The Hills Have Eyes) - as a fan of the Western genre, I'm pleased to see people still using it to tell different stories. Although Westerns don't flood the release schedules, we've had Meek's Cutoff, Slow West and the Coens' True Grit, as well as Tarantino's surprisingly ok Django Unchained, among others. Noted by most reviewers is the gruelling violence, as far from the weightless gore of Tarantino as I think it's possible to be. We have spent sufficient time with these characters to care about their fates, and the acts themselves are crunching, spattering, gurglingly awful. However, there's a great film in here about the relationships between the characters, and their bickering back and forth as they set off to save two of their number - indeed, had this been a roadtrip film featuring these four men, I think I'd have been as happy to watch that.

A slightly anti-climactic ending brings this down a little for me, but Kurt Russell and Patrick Wilson are as good here as you'll see them being in anything.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I try to kid myself I'm a hard-boiled flinty kind of bloke, not easily suckered by ersatz emotion and slushy sentimentality (or car chases, explosions, science fiction, science fantasy, fantasy fiction and anything with Meryl Streep in it, just to balance things up a bit). But this intense performance tugs your emotions one way and then another until way past the lump in the throat moment. And I hope Casey Affleck's copper bottomed performance really is an act, otherwise his neighbours will be a-feared of a killing spree. Get in the queue for the Oscars, guys.

Ah, I thought the trailer looked decent and I definitely want to see it now.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Watched Spectral on Netflix, not bad but I think James Cameron did it better with Aliens. They basically recreated the first Alien and Marines encounter complete with APC and even had a traumatized little girl to rescue.

Top Bottom