What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've been Netflixing (Canadian-style, for some reason...*) Numb3rs. I'm up to Season 4. Cracking stuff...

* I set Unblock-US to Canada out of curiosity, which is where I found Numb3ers.

ASC1951

Guru
Just seen Hotel Budapest - superb!
arguably an "art" movie of sorts, but just pure entertainment, not sentimental, looks stunning and top notch cast...
Recommended, then? I was thinking of turning out for it this evening, lured by that cast of proper actors - ie not woodentops like Cruise - but I'll admit to finding The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore slightly disappointing.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Recommended, then? I was thinking of turning out for it this evening, lured by that cast of proper actors - ie not woodentops like Cruise - but I'll admit to finding The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore slightly disappointing.

not seen his other films, so don't know if Budapest is better or just his standard stylee. Perhaps more style than substance but I did enjoy it.

ASC1951

Guru
not seen his other films, so don't know if Budapest is better or just his standard style. Perhaps more style than substance but I did enjoy it.
Got to be better than the mindless drivel which is occupying seven screens at my local Vue. Need for Speed is on two of them, FFS.

Got round to Inside Llewyn Davis - still not too sure what to make of it - watchable but certainly not the best the Coen film, had its moments but I was pleased when it ended, anyone else actually enjoy it? Or did it just go over my head?

ASC1951

Guru
Got round to Inside Llewyn Davis - still not too sure what to make of it - watchable but certainly not the best the Coen film, had its moments but I was pleased when it ended, anyone else actually enjoy it? Or did it just go over my head?
I doubt if it went over your head - it didn't actually have much to say. IME when you are making a film with only one or two characters and not a lot happening, the characters need to be interesting. He wasn't. It reminded me of Blue Jasmine in that respect, with great actors creating people that I didn't care what happened to.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
yeah maybe... good villain, bad movie... IMO.

I thought he was mediocre - looked like he based it on that nutter from Dirty Harry, not Clint the other one.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Tombstone with kurt russell and lots more including Charlton Heston. Quite a good film. Dont know how accurate historically it was or could be, but well worth watching 8/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
I like his films but you need a mind and eye bath afterwards. Problem is I started with his more commercial film Melancholia and the rest are a bit soul destroying, I'm off to watch Mary Poppins !!

Very true. He properly went off the deep end with Antichrist though. I'm a connoisseur of grim viewing and found it hard work.

For a truly bizarre slice of television, check out his early nineties series The Kingdom and The Kingdom II. It was vaguely successfully remade as Kingdom Hospital with Stephen King at the helm a couple of years ago, but it was far too glossy and didn't capture the eerie atmosphere of the original.

The original is also responsible for the truly brilliant parody, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Top Bottom