What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Went to see Dr Strange last night. Really rather good and I'm not much of a one for super-hero stuff, though I do like sci-fi proper and the more serious comic books stuff - Dredd or Watchmen maybe, but thought the last two Batman's were awful.

Anyhow, grest cast - Cumberbatch as the Doc and Chiwetal Ejifor and Tilda Swinton as fellow sorcerors. Pretty good script avoiding corniness and clever and funny too. Good adherence to the Chekov rifle-on-the-wall thing with each item introduced being a set up for later on. The Matrix/Inception reality bending was well done and had a logic, and even the final climax had a logic to it. Total hokum naturally but 8/10 for solid entertainment.

Hint - do stay to the end of the credits as there is an extra scene. Apparently a 2nd one as well !

PaulSB

Squire
I, Daniel Blake. An outstanding film which should have the same impact as Cathy Come Home however society has changed and I don't think it. (I'm not trying to be political, just observing).

At the end the whole audience filed out in silence, all that could be heard was a few sniffles. A very, very good, powerful and distressing film.

Polite

Über Member
I, Daniel Blake. An outstanding film which should have the same impact as Cathy Come Home however society has changed and I don't think it. (I'm not trying to be political, just observing).

At the end the whole audience filed out in silence, all that could be heard was a few sniffles. A very, very good, powerful and distressing film.
I've just watched I, Daniel Blake as well. Grim, real, honest and, as Paul SB says, very powerful. I know realise why Iain Duncan-Smith was whining about it on Radio 4 earlier in the week, given the name check he gets in the film!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Sorry, but I thought I, Daniel Blake was a Ken Loach film by numbers.
Totally predictable, going through the motions. Heart-nagging scenes exactly where the scrip bitch said. Narrative arc nonessential and nonexistent. So two dimensional two dimensional is one too many. Nought out of ten, and only such a high score because I'm feeling all social-justicey.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 6/10

Not a great film, but not a bad one either. Not especially true to the book, but then they seldom are nowadays are they?
Good action sequences, occasionally a bit flat in between and to be honest, take Tom cruise out of the equation and it might have more of a TV movie about it.

Also made the mistake of going to see it on a Saturday tea-time and got skanked of nearly £20 for two of us for the privilege. Which reminded me why we don't go to the cinema much nowadays.

AndyRM

XOXO
Nightmare Before Christmas - 10/10

One of my all time favourite films, hence the stupid rating but there we go. Introduced me to a whole world that has shaped my life and loves, a gateway drug sort of film.

Tonight is a good night for my 8 month old daughters first viewing I reckon. I'll let her off not knowing all the words this time!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Prick up your ears. A very well done biog of the fast life & untimely death of Joe Orton, and his rather odd relationship with the distinctly odd Keith Halliwell. Not, I imagine, everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it thoroughly - full of one-liners worthy of the great man himself.

Halliwell: They say Islington's coming up
Prospective landlady: It is. The greengrocer's turned into an antiques shop. And the pub does salad.

(Suddenly remembered from the opening credits that it was scripted by Alan Bennet, which explains it.)

Top Bottom