Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to work in a seaside Secondary School
it was built with 4 building around a central "quad"

kids being kids they often left a load of uneaten food and scraps lying around after break and lunch times
The local gulls knew this and by the end of break the rooftops were lined with hundreds of the damn things waiting fro the kids to go inside

Part of my job as a teacher was sometimes to herd encourage the kids to get to lessons when the bell went
and force the last ones to get a move on

so I was often one of the last people in the quad

by which time the gulls were swooping down onto the bounty (and twix and kitkat) below - it was not uncommon for a wing to brush your head!

At the end of the day there would often be some cars with several deposits of gull poo over them
and mysteriously other totally clean

Oh - BTW - have we discussed the term "seagull"
some people say that they are not seagulls because they do NOT live at sea
they spend most of their time on land - but clearly near large bodies of water where possible

Only one gull is a true sea bird - I think it is the Kittiwake - that does live at sea most of teh time and only comes ashore to nest
maybe

Fishermen hate seagulls and one skipper I know refers to them as “ shite hawks” as they are always swooping and pooping around when they are pulling nets full of fish inboard.
How about touroid who chuck food out for them from the sea wall where all the cars and motorhomes are parked. Not a popular idea.

Fishermen hate seagulls and one skipper I know refers to them as “ shite hawks” as they are always swooping and pooping around when they are pulling nets full of fish inboard.
How about touroid who chuck food out for them from the sea wall where all the cars and motorhomes are parked. Not a popular idea.

Little story
my Dad was in RAF ground crew during the war (Armourer actually)
apparently it was made a Court Martial offence for Ground Crew to refer to the RAF wings worn by pilots as Shite Hawks

or so he said on one of our many visits to RIAT at RAF Fairford over the years
(something something something girlfriend lived down that road something something something was heard on the way to the show a few times - no more details were forthcoming!!!!!)

Red17

Guru
Little game people used to play when I was racing and we were camped up near the coast (usually Pembrey from memory) was to throw bread on to the roof of peoples vans and caravans at night so they were woken up at dawn by the gulls stomping about on the roof.

Never had it done to me, but apparently it did work.

grldtnr

Über Member

Us sailors aren't that fond of them either, nasty 'orrible fings they are, if Gulls weren't such opportunistic at us humans littering food around then the world might just be a cleaner place all round

Some years ago we visited somewhere - probably South Wales and we were looking for something to eat rather late on

It was in a small port town with one of the rivers that forms a harbour going a few hundred yards inland
at the end of the inlet was a chippy so we got something from there
The local counsel was clearly making an effort to reduce the problems from gulls as there were new signs up all over saying not to feed the gulls

we were about the last customers in the shop

we were just sitting on the far side of the harbours - looking across towards the chippie - and the staff appeared with a couple of trays full of chips and scraps of batter and - probably - old fish

and chucked it all over the empty car parking spaces
which the gulls were clearly waiting for as they flocked down in big numbers!!!

Odd how attitudes change to the same animal.
Harming a seagull is considered bad luck by fishermen/sailors on the west coast of Ireland.

The bar steward that knicked my pie on Llandudno beach damn nearly got harmed!!!!
I had a half brick in my hand and was about to let fly when I thought that a serving teacher lobbed a half brick at a wild animal on a beach crowed with people, including children, was possibly a bad look!
especially as I was only a few miles from where I worked!

the gull was clearly worried though as it dropped the pie

and yes - I did still eat it!!!!

In this hot weather, wearing shorts, i've discovered that opening the lid of my laptop results in the hinge sharply pinching both legs.

Wouldn't be so bad, but i've done it pretty much every day for weeks!

Yup - I commented to my wife the other day that every single night I pull the cord on the blinds to close them
and every single night I pull the ones nearest the glass
and every single night that is the wrong one

since telling her I have got it right every time
which is why I told her - sometimes if I tell someone I am doing something dumb then it does something in what passes for my brain and I stop doing it

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Little game people used to play when I was racing and we were camped up near the coast (usually Pembrey from memory) was to throw bread on to the roof of peoples vans and caravans at night so they were woken up at dawn by the gulls stomping about on the roof.

Never had it done to me, but apparently it did work.

I’ve been on many rugby tours where the bread on the roof trick has been used.
It’s very noisy on a tin roof at 5am.

I'm pretty bad at fixing punctures these days because if we are confronted with a puncture on a customer's bike it's quicker and more reliable to just swap the tube.

Yup - local bike shop refuses to repair tube - will only swap for a new one

He reckons it is cheaper once you factor in time as it is far quicker with all the proper equipment

and if the repair goes wrong - or it the tyre starts leaking some weeks after then he would get the blame and have to fix it again to keep the customer happy

so he just replaces it and chuck the old one in the bin

Top Bottom