Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Guru
Using the word ‘curb’ when it should be ‘kerb’.

Even more offensive to my eyes, as this is a cycling forum, is when people type ‘peddles’ when it should be ‘pedals’.

I think breaks for brakes just edges that one for me

I'm probably going to get rid of my van before the insurance comes up as it's too much hassle and people ask for favours for removal jobs...

We've just had a new engine in ours so we're going to sell. Market value about 10-11k base van but we've put a lot into it.

Still only a day van but it has pop top with two berth up top and crash tested / rated bed seat for another two people below. Leisure battery with bled lights, USB charging points, fully lined out in a way that you can take panels out to complete a full conversion later. Diesel heater. Hookup extension to double red cutoff sockets. Extra side windows with slide opening on both door and non door sides.

Overall I've seen vans with a lot less asking for £16k to £19k on quirky campers sale pages.

So we're hoping to get at least £15k to pay back the repair bill from our savings and leave £10k for a car. Unfortunately you can no longer get a 4 or 5 year old used car for £5k so it's looking like £10k will only get us a 7 or 8 year old car big enough for our family needs.

Depressing how prices have gone up due to covid and possibly chip shortage issues creating a supply / demand issue of cars at that age. £10k might not be enough!

Insure instead of ensure. As in tighten the pinch bolts to 6Nm to insure your bars don't slip.
And it's 6Nm not 6nm. Newton was a man, not a greek prefix!
And people who start sentences with And.
Wow, this new coffee is great!

6 nano metres is not the right units for other reasons not just missing capitalisation! :smile:

Alex321

Guru
And another thing, anyone who can't understand should have and makes it should of. :angry:

That one does annoy me when used in writing. It doesn't bother me too much when spoken.

ExBrit

Über Member
That is one of those (these?!?) things that I'm sure I knew when I was 15, but I've since seen it wrong so many times that I'm confused again!
This has the benefit that I stop noticing the mistakes, as I get the intention from context :P

(But I do know how to use "should have", just for the record ... )

I believe it is "concrete kerb", but "curb your enthusiasm".
My American spell checker just flagged "kerb". Stoopid spell checker.

Top Bottom