Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

What are our thoughts on new wheels for the Triban 3?

Good investment? Make much of a difference?

I fitted new wheels and the bike is about a kilogram lighter and feels a bit more responsive and corners and handles better. I'm not any quicker though! It probably wasn't money well spent, if I'm honest.

1kg sounds like a lot in the context of bikes but it's only just over 2lbs, being 180 lbs myself it means that the weight of me and the bike is only decreased by about 2%.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
It wouldn't be the lettering on the catching the block?

Good call. Not the lettering... but it looks like the rim join is not flush, and if I run my finger along the rim it catches a tiny ridge. I bet that's it.

Anything I can do with this? Take a bit of sandpaper to it?

I want a propstand for my Triban 3 - DON'T LAUGH! - and you can't use a traditional mounted one because of the cable that runs through that mounting triangle.
I want to get one of these chainstay tube mounted ones below.

Should be okay for the Triban 3 right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Bike-...R&hash=item2c624a91b3&clk_rvr_id=451370080990
I fitted one identical to this to my sons bike, the first one sheared off just below the return spring, the replacement is still hanging on but needs tightening up every other week. Maybe the kids are to rough with it. If you do fit one, glue the rubber boot on or you will loose it!

Billy Adam

Good call. Not the lettering... but it looks like the rim join is not flush, and if I run my finger along the rim it catches a tiny ridge. I bet that's it.

Anything I can do with this? Take a bit of sandpaper to it?
A very fine grit wet & dry if anything. Or ( this may a sound weird) t-cut and news paper. It might take a bit more time but not so abrasive.

Alex11

I fitted one identical to this to my sons bike, the first one sheared off just below the return spring, the replacement is still hanging on but needs tightening up every other week. Maybe the kids are to rough with it. If you do fit one, glue the rubber boot on or you will loose it!

I am right in saying I can't fit a standard triangle one?

Phred1812

Fulcrum Racing 7's from JeJames, £109 is what they are right now. Mine came a few days ago, here's some pics - http://imgur.com/a/hHah3 - I weighed my bike and it's approximately 9.1kg, that's over a kilo of weight saved and it's very noticeable on the hills and descents.
Thanks for the pics jazloc. I just ordered the same wheels from JeJames and the red Luganos as well. I am not expecting a huge difference in performance but they certainly give the bike a bit of class

D

Deleted member 20519

I have some wet & dry 1200 I can try. Interesting that once the problem has been diagnosed (hopefully), you can find others have had the same issue...
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12809437

I just gave mine a light sand with some sandpaper and then a clean and it's went away fine.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Just had a look and I don't know where you would fit one.
The chainstay is shaped which means the clamping arrangement may not fit. I cannot really see anywhere else one might fit.

Top Bottom