Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would it be a case of fitting a better BB?
they are likely to upgrade the BB on any 6 month old bike if you subtly guide them into looking at the cause of the creaks. they broke mine removing it (apparently very easy to break the plastic side of it) and on bikes around 6 months old there is now no stock of the standard BB they came with and it gets upgraded (just don't ask me to what... I have yet to remove it to find out!)

Tom Hooper

ok a quick question, what upgrades would every one get for a stock triban?

iv already done saddle and pedals .

every one seems to talk about wheels but mine seem to be fine. im thinking about brake blocks as mine seem naff, then bar tape, and then maybe slowly upgrading to tigra componets?

ok a quick question, what upgrades would every one get for a stock triban?

iv already done saddle and pedals .

every one seems to talk about wheels but mine seem to be fine. im thinking about brake blocks as mine seem naff, then bar tape, and then maybe slowly upgrading to tigra componets?
still have stock saddle, but now on my 3rd set of pedals (don't ask). have changed the brake pads and added cross levers to help breaking (I have a weak left hand). also done the bar tape when I swapped to narrower drops. changed the tyres as well for 25mm which is the biggest you will fit because of clearance issues.

Can a quick change of subject be possible here?
So if I might just ask about something really basic. R.e the Triban; the wheel size is 700 X 23 as standard?

So if I’m to order a couple of inner tubes for it do I order 700x23 as all I can seem to find is 700x28 at the moment, perhaps I’ve not delved deep enough yet with the millions of pages of mind bending bike related web sites; so come back here for some real help.

Can a quick change of subject be possible here?
So if I might just ask about something really basic. R.e the Triban; the wheel size is 700 X 23 as standard?

So if I’m to order a couple of inner tubes for it do I order 700x23 as all I can seem to find is 700x28 at the moment, perhaps I’ve not delved deep enough yet with the millions of pages of mind bending bike related web sites; so come back here for some real help.
standard wheel size is 700x23 no choice and ideally you need smaller inner tubes. I have managed to fit 700x25 tyres but you will not be able to fit anything larger - there is not enough clearance with the brakes. Not overlurely sure about the idea of 700x28 inner tubes in 700x23 tyres and what the effect would be... route around some more and you will find the correct inner tubes. I know decathlon sell a pack of them that are suitable, but we prefer Schwalbe inner tubes which just seem more 'robust' - comes from our touring.

Ok Satnav I will dodge off and delve even deeper in to the either?
regards Antnee
I was going to keep the 700x23 tyre size as to date (though only done about 20 miles ) they seem the bee's knees well if I compear? to my really big 700x 28 bontager tyres that are on the Trek They seem like monster tyres since riding the Triban.
Regards Antnee

Ok Satnav I will dodge off and delve even deeper in to the either?
regards Antnee
I was going to keep the 700x23 tyre size as to date (though only done about 20 miles ) they seem the bee's knees well if I compear? to my really big 700x 28 bontager tyres that are on the Trek They seem like monster tyres since riding the Triban.
Regards Antnee

my OH killed his tyres in 200 miles suspect it was something he ran over in the dark personally picked up a slow flat and didn't use the bike for a few days. the tyre walls sat deflated over the weekend (could have been a week) and cracked badly, so we had to replace them.

I went over to 25mm tyres which I was more confident (but slightly slower because of the ones I choose). I wanted something that would last better with my OH and a certain fairy... so far that has been sucessful. but you won't get anything bigger on whatsoever.

that is the decathlon link for the inner tubes http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2xcaa-700x18-23-presta-48mm-id_8243100.html

andyoxon

Legendary Member
It's not that tricky, not beyond anyone if you take care - again, if Decathlon are any distance away, I'd suggest people give it a go and save themselves a trip; if it wasn't working out, then fall back on visiting them ... but horses for courses (as always).

With bike on the workstand and having watched a handful of youtube vids - I identified (on the drive side), a couple of points on the rim that were most out (closest to brake bad), then on the non drive side I tightened only the n-d side spokes 1/4 turn only, in the relevant area. I thought given the drive side spokes are so tight, that I wouldn't loosen then off, and hope that it was the n-d side spokes that had loosened off.

Good - result (hopefully). The wheel only seems to be 1mm or less out now, rather than 3-4mm. I realise it's not a 'proper job', and I haven't checked how round the wheel is, but might do for now.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
I've put the new brake shoes on, but it's snowing now, and although it would good road testing conditions, I'm not going out yet...;)

The shoes went on fine and there's ample room on the caliper arm for vertical adjusment - no probs at all.

Apparently the pads may fit the b'twin brake cartridge/housing, but I've just stuck the white Clarks ones on.

The £8.99 pack from Chain reaction, came exactly as in the photo. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55815

55815.jpg

They seem to be £17.09 for the same pack, on Wiggle :ohmy: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-road-caliper-brake-pads-and-spare-inserts/

Billy Adam

I've put the new brake shoes on, but it's snowing now, and although it would good road testing conditions, I'm not going out yet...;)

The shoes went on fine and there's ample room on the caliper arm for vertical adjusment - no probs at all.

Apparently the pads may fit the b'twin brake cartridge/housing, but I've just stuck the white Clarks ones on.

The £8.99 pack from Chain reaction, came exactly as in the photo. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55815

55815.jpg

They seem to be £17.09 for the same pack, on Wiggle :ohmy: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-road-caliper-brake-pads-and-spare-inserts/
Let us know how they go ( or stop) andy. The white ones look cooler too.

Billy Adam

Just got back from decathlon. Very pleasant mech man stripped and regreased the bottom end. Tightened everything. Haven't had chance to check it yet as its hoofing down with snow. Also had a chat with him about the white triban 3. His words "pile of cr*p, you could get in toys r us." No carbon forks and micro-shift gears. £279.00. Looks like the red ones were the best ones after all.

Duckehhh

had my service. picked it up last night. they swapped out my rear wheel(silver spokes, yuk). bearings were stuck or something. they sorted out my BB aswell. although I had a migraine when I picked it up. so cant for the life of be remember if they swapped it, fixed it or w/e.
but rode to work today. and it was very smooth. he did mention that i should think of changing the chain and cassette soon and they were getting worn(after only 500 or so miles?).

on another note. anyone elses rear wheel a right pain to get on and off? as if its too big for the frame. my rockrider bike just pops on and off.

Billy Adam

had my service. picked it up last night. they swapped out my rear wheel(silver spokes, yuk). bearings were stuck or something. they sorted out my BB aswell. although I had a migraine when I picked it up. so cant for the life of be remember if they swapped it, fixed it or w/e.
but rode to work today. and it was very smooth. he did mention that i should think of changing the chain and cassette soon and they were getting worn(after only 500 or so miles?).

on another note. anyone elses rear wheel a right pain to get on and off? as if its too big for the frame. my rockrider bike just pops on and off.
Overall I'm really pleased with decathlon service. I phoned this morning and got my bike straight in and checked it out. Very helpful too.

Top Bottom