Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billy Adam

Sometimes the same reviews for different variations of the same product are used for every variant - that looks like one shoe and a spare pad to me...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarks-CPS2...AQZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360573103&sr=8-1
Would they sell just one pad?

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
just taken my brothers t3 back to decathlon as he was having rear wheel wobble.....

Booked in for half 9, the young mechanic said i don't start till 10, i assured him my brother rang up on friday to book in and was told 9:30.

he said he had other bits to do...... i left it with him feeling a little annoyed that id have to wait around for about an extra hour or so....

when i get back he said he it was damaged and had rusted which was odd so just threw a new wheel on it....

much much happier when i left than i was when he said he wasnt starting for half hour....

andyoxon

Legendary Member
I need my rear wheel trued; but haven't got a proper truing stand. What do you reckon - study Sheldon Brown, and have a go, or nip down the LBS. Actually, SB says it's one thing you can really make a mess off if you're not careful.
jifd - sounds like a good result. I wonder if decathlon would true the wheel while I wait....

Radchenister

Veteran
I had to do both of mine when they came out the box, the front was maybe 1 to 2mm off, while the rear was perhaps 4 to 5mm out.

You can make tweaks with the wheels on the bike but yes, if you get all the tensions too far out of whack, you'll be in a mess - I learnt how when rebuilding my, so say, fairly indestructible 'bendy' BMX wheels from the 80s and then moved onto MTBs, they were all pretty forgiving though.

It's good to have someone show you how to begin with rather than use trial and error, if you can arrange this, but if you do give it a go, be systematic and work with quarter turns - spend time watching the various YouTube clips to get into the right mindset at the least.

If once you start then it's looking like it's getting worse, stop and seek help. When undertaking the tweaks, spin the wheel regularly - 'measure twice cut once' type stuff; picking the spot and selecting the right spokes is the key. Small tweaks will make quite a difference, flicking the spokes to hear the tension in them can help but isn't the be all and end all - you can tighten and loosen remember.

Do use the right tool, ones that are circular and slot onto the spoke can damage the coating as it rotates and rubs at the non-connected side (if you don't get the tool lined up quite right).

I need my rear wheel trued; but haven't got a proper truing stand. What do you reckon - study Sheldon Brown, and have a go, or nip down the LBS. Actually, SB says it's one thing you can really make a mess off if you're not careful.
jifd - sounds like a good result. I wonder if decathlon would true the wheel while I wait....
I had to learn the hard way sitting in a campsite in the far north of finland. and to be honest it is not that bad if all you are doing in retrueing.
I sussed out 2 things. 1 is to mark the spokes being 'changed' so you know what you have done and can keep an eye on them (very useful if breaking spokes is an issue which is was for my OH on another bike) and 2, is to loosen the oppoiste 2 spokes rather than to tighten the spoke that is closest to the 'untrue' bit. Usually only 1/2 turn is needed on the opposite spokes to slacken their tension off a touch hard to explain really, but seemed to work better. I just used one of the brake pads as a guide for wheel trueness - I positioned them to be close but not catching which allowed me to mark the spokes that needed to be 'changed'.

(I should say I learnt hands on on a heavily laden touring bike that had just broken its 6th spoke and I fell out with it big time. I did not have the advantage of a bike shop handy - it was a case of something had to be done and one way or another I was learning how to do it but after that we had no more broken spokes in the final 6,000km of cycling.)

Decathlon will retrue wheels btw. Both my front & rear where done for me - I live on a road with nasty speed bumps and no way around them.

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Thanks Rad & SatNav. Will investigate the Decathlon route to begin with.

Radchenister

Veteran
Thanks Rad & SatNav. Will investigate the Decathlon route to begin with.

It's not that tricky, not beyond anyone if you take care - again, if Decathlon are any distance away, I'd suggest people give it a go and save themselves a trip; if it wasn't working out, then fall back on visiting them ... but horses for courses (as always).

andyoxon

Legendary Member
OK, yes may have a go. Actually I had a bash with a wheel on my tourer that had gone into ironwork (and me over handlebars), but it was a lost cause as it turrned out the rim was actually bent; I bought a new wheel set. Truing is definitely a skill I need to acquire properly.

Speedball

Does anyone know how close the Decathlon store in Surrey Quays is to the Canada Water underground station?

Luckily enough I'm in London this weekend and want to purchase a Triban 3. I'm about 5' 10" with a 30/31" inch inside leg and am torn between ordering either the 54 or 57 frame so figured the best way was to go try them out rather than ordering blind from the website.

But I don't really know the area very well so any directions would be appreciated :smile:

Billy Adam

Does anyone know how close the Decathlon store in Surrey Quays is to the Canada Water underground station?

Luckily enough I'm in London this weekend and want to purchase a Triban 3. I'm about 5' 10" with a 30/31" inch inside leg and am torn between ordering either the 54 or 57 frame so figured the best way was to go try them out rather than ordering blind from the website.

But I don't really know the area very well so any directions would be appreciated :smile:
Hi speedball I got a 54 and I'm the same size 5'10 30 inside leg fits great. But the will try u on either before you buy. You will not regret it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

It's about a 2 minute walk if you're lazy like me. Left out of the station, head towards the shopping centre and you'll see it on the other side of the water.
If you rotate this page you will see the blue sign of Decathlon alongside the leany-over building.

The one with the bikes is the one on the left (the west). They also do the cheapest coffee I've come across recently.

Top Bottom