Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My post was in relation to the comments between B'n'Y and some of you lot. B'n'Y is wrong (as it reads, whether he actually meant it the way I am reading it or not, I don't know, happy to be corrected) re. cheap wheels being like for like (I have cheap wheels to hand and also the wheels of a Triban to hand albeit 650c ones and have compared) and the comments about the Triban 3 not worth paying more than £100-150 in wheels are also not quite right.

With regards your question. Anything from Shimano RS10, Fulcrum Racing 7's up to £300 wheels.

Steampig

Just emailed my local decathlon (Warrington) for info got this reply!
View attachment 17714

I emailed my local store sheffield on friday (before id seen this!) to ask about sizing. i also asked about the spec for the new triban.
Ive coped and pasted both emails as im not sure how to put the actual emial up
Hi i am looking into buying the triban 3.

Firstly the sizing guide is not to clear and was wondering what the best frame size is for me as im 5,11 and a 32/33 inside leg??

Secondly I have been told you (as a company not branch) are running low on the current triban 3 and are ready to bring out the 2013 version.
Are the specs for this bike likely to be the same ie carbon fork and 2300 running gear?
what price will it be and when is it likely to be out?
kind regards
Liam

Hi Liam,
The frame size your looking for is likely to be a 57, however the best way for us to tell would be for you to come into store and try a couple of sizes. Also as far as we are aware the current spec Triban 3 is staying as a UK product.

Hopefully that helps, if you have any further queries don't hestitate to get in contact.

Thanks,
The Cycles Team.

Regards,
THOMAS, from your Sheffield store

outlash

also available in orange
My post was in relation to the comments between B'n'Y and some of you lot. B'n'Y is wrong (as it reads, whether he actually meant it the way I am reading it or not, I don't know, happy to be corrected) re. cheap wheels being like for like (I have cheap wheels to hand and also the wheels of a Triban to hand albeit 650c ones and have compared) and the comments about the Triban 3 not worth paying more than £100-150 in wheels are not quite right.

With regards your question. Anything from Shimano RS10, Fulcrum Racing 7's up to £300 wheels.

Fair comment, but after buying a set of R500's I know they're an improvement over the stock wheels. TBH, I just wanted a set that didn't go out of true after every other ride.

But thanks for actually making some useful suggestions rather than just posting up negative statements.

Tony.

Wheels - Having stripped the hubs down on the existing wheels, and actually cleaned them and regreased them they are considerably better. The Freehub is next on my list of repairs - probably tomorrow. I can't pedal backwards in the cold, something I want to be able to do. Once i have worn the wheels out (the hub is failing), the plan is simply to purchase some Shimano R501 wheels as their replacement. My personal view is that this bike is never going to be a bike for racing on, it is never going to be a top of the range bike, it is a starter/lower end spec bike for someone coming into or returning to road bikes and working out that this is actually what they want to do and there to be used as such, something you can leave at college/shops/work without having to worry about it being knicked all the time (but then I am happy using it in winter, rain and off-road). Some will disagree, others agree, it is each to their own and no point it worry over what others do to their T3 or how hett up they get over it. Once the wheel wear out, I won't claim on the warranty, can't afford to have the bike off the road for upto 3 weeks or so... so I will upgrade as and when then have worn out.

To date, the only parts I have replaced are ones which were either for my safety (new brake blocks, shorter stem, narrower bars, better lights) or have failed (pedals) or have worn out (tyres, chain).

But it is no different to any other school of though such as buying a base model dSLR camera and fitting a professional prime lens to it and I have witnessed people do that...no different to buy a base model car and fitting the most expensive stereo system to it... I could go on, but I think I have lit the touch paper and now I am going to retreat... goodnight :thumbsup:

Typhon

I have one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-carbon-bottle-cage/

£18 and 24g. I thought I might as well buy a decent one and then it could be transferred to a more expensive and lighter bike in the future.

Unfortunately they don't make it any more as I was thinking of buying a second one to replace the steel one I got from Decathlon with the bike.

I've looked on wiggle and other sites and bottle cages weighing more than that cost twice as much, so not sure where to buy a second one from really.

Radchenister

Veteran
I really pushed the boat out - in the past my water bottles have worn out faster than my cages (well actually I've never worn out a cage ;) - it all gets wobbled about a fair amount on a MTB but basicly I see these parts as hardly high chic items and as good as throw away IMHO) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009EQ9ZB6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 tried to pay with eggs on the grounds that retail value means nothing but Amazon would only accept my Mastercard.

CommuterBen

Regular
I have one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-carbon-bottle-cage/

£18 and 24g. I thought I might as well buy a decent one and then it could be transferred to a more expensive and lighter bike in the future.

Unfortunately they don't make it any more as I was thinking of buying a second one to replace the steel one I got from Decathlon with the bike.

I've looked on wiggle and other sites and bottle cages weighing more than that cost twice as much, so not sure where to buy a second one from really.
eBay item number 110994731220

b&y so what wheels would suggest for a bike like tb3..

Depends on budget - there is no one particular wheel which is suited to the bike, to be fair.

To all other comments - the TB3 is built to a price point - and so it follows that the wheels will also be a compromise. That much is understood.

Blowing £150 on a set of wheels will not see a significant improvement in quality, in my opinion I personally don't think it is worth spending that on a set of wheels which will probably be no better than the set you already have. So here's my suggestions...

option 1 - Forget the wheels for now and just spend some money on some decent quality tyres. They don't need to be expensive. Something like a set of Rubino Pros will make a big difference to ride quality. Can be had for about £20 each on ebay. Probably the best way to spend £40 next week.

option 2 - Anything from £250 upwards will buy you a good quality wheelset which will last longer than the rest of the bike. At £250 you can get a pair of Shimano 6700, or another £100 on top gets you the excellent RS80. Something in between (ie about £300) gets you a pair of Easton EA50s - also very good. Here's the thing - you can hang on to the wheels when you sell the bike and upgrade to something else. You then have a decent set of spare wheels, which you may even prefer to the pair on your new bike, depending on what you buy.

Hope that helps.

Lancj1

Mt simple view on wheels and upgrades to the Triban 3 - as an owner. I cant see the point of buying a £300 bike and then spending several hundred pound upgrading it at purchase or within a couple of months of purchase. Better to buy a £600 bike.

But....if you like the frame...which I do (what is the difference in the alloy used here to a 1k bike btw ?)...then over time, upgrading as things break or you have the money seems to make sense. Depending on what you choose you end up with an ever improving machine that is personal to you.

My plan with the wheels is to buy some newer better ones and better tyres, grease the originals as indicated here, and stick some bigger tyres on for next winter. I will do this in spring.

For those interested, the original wheels plus tyres, on the Decathlon site, cost just shy of £80 for the lot, and are very heavy compared to the upgrade kit being discussed here.

Mt simple view on wheels and upgrades to the Triban 3 - as an owner. I cant see the point of buying a £300 bike and then spending several hundred pound upgrading it at purchase or within a couple of months of purchase. Better to buy a £600 bike.

The point you are missing is that the wheelset is a separate item which you can keep regardless of whether you own a Triban 3 or not - therefore the value of the bike you are fitting them on is not relevant.

Top Bottom