Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not getting the bike today :sad: Mrs Ward has pulled rank and stopped me from driving in the snow :rolleyes:
As she was kind enough to agree to the purchasing of the new bike I thought I would let her have this one :biggrin:

outlash

also available in orange
Frame on T5 isn't the same, it's got carbon seat stays

So it does, I sit corrected :smile:.

Tony.

This may be a silly question but why do I need to get grease into the wheels and how would I do that?
What would happen if I don't?

this is what the some of the fuss over the wheels is about. I have had my bike for 4-5 months now and nearly 2,000km and my OH 5-6 months and around 1,000km... the inside of the hubs should not look like this http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-2251210 after that amount of time. A lot of it is due to the lack of grease in the first place (seen in photo 1). Also the rear hub on my OH's bike was done up too tightly causing it the bearings to be forced together to tightly which has resulted in bearing & cone damage (rusty, irregular surface on bearing & cone so they don't move around as freely as they should do) and on my rear hub they were not done up tightly enough so I now have a rear hub knock which is caused by too much movement (some sideways movement of wheel despite being held in place tightly enough by QR skewer). the damage to my OH's rear wheel is not too expensive to repair and easily done. mine unfortuantly is much worse and will result in needing a new axle at some point. Also a build up of grit/water and lack of grease results in the wheels not spinning as freely as they would and giving you more resistance when cycling. the result since regreasing & cleaning all the hubs on the 4 wheels (so 8 hubs in total) is that both my OH and myself are now faster than before on the same rides and not as tired which has nothing to do with fitness because of the current weather conditions take more out of you than fitness gives you (we cycle a lot normally anyway). Hope that explains it. You will need a 15mm & 17mm cone spanner (flat spanner), some youtube vidoes/reading material for explanation, white/lithium grease and potentially new bearings (front & rear bearings are different). It is something a LBS should be able to do for you quite easily and cheaply - less than 30mins work for an experienced bike mechanic. I took about 2 hours for the 8 hubs, but it was the first time I had done anything like that and ours were a mess to say the least. (oh and cotton wool buds, tissues and a very understanding partner or somewhere to work in are a must... don't drop the bearings!)

Have been speaking to Giltbrook Decathlon about stock of the Triban 3, and found out some info about the new model

Hello Mr Ward,

We currently do not have a full specification of the new Triban 3. We are having a specific UK model which will have a front carbon fork, unlike the continental equivalent. The shifters have also changed to a dual pivot shifter, but this is currrently all we know.

Regards

Mike Anderson - Cycles

Regards,
Michael, from your GILTBROOK store

Microshift is perfectly good kit, incidentally - so don't be put off by that. I have it on one of the bikes here - Shimano compatible and works very well.

Chris, so will they reserve for more than 24 hrs then?

I reserved yesterday and they will hold it until the 23/01

martin122

Regular
My post was in relation to the comments between B'n'Y and some of you lot. B'n'Y is wrong (as it reads, whether he actually meant it the way I am reading it or not, I don't know, happy to be corrected) re. cheap wheels being like for like (I have cheap wheels to hand and also the wheels of a Triban to hand albeit 650c ones and have compared) and the comments about the Triban 3 not worth paying more than £100-150 in wheels are also not quite right.

With regards your question. Anything from Shimano RS10, Fulcrum Racing 7's up to £300 wheels.
good suggestions thanks

andyoxon

Legendary Member
I've received some info - from the helpful Reading Decathlon cycles team... (my formatting). Quite interesting....

The new spec models aren't due out until the end of February.

The white Triban 3 will be a fully aluminium frame which is the only real difference, but it will come in cheaper at 279.99.
The new Triban 5 will have the carbon/aluminium frame with the triban 3 gear set at 399.99, and the
Triban 7 will be the same as the current triban 5, except it will have an upgraded tiagra gear set. This will come in at 599.99.
You will still be able to purchase the current triban 3 model, it will just be know as the UK Triban 3.

I hope this helps.
Kind Regards,

star84

Regular
I've received some info - from the helpful Reading Decathlon cycles team... (my formatting). Quite interesting....

jus like said earlier defferent store with defferent info for does who wants the tb3 but still havent fully madeup there mind or kinda waiting for the new tb2.5/2.8 its best u go get one now before its too late

Here she is
2E2CiQH.jpg

Had an enjoyable drive to Birmingham. And the staff at Decathlon were excellent, answered all mt questions about size and riding position, went for the 60 in the end.

Had a quick spin round some of the clearer roads in my village yesterday and hopefully I'm going to go out this afternoon for a bit.

I had to make some adjustments to the front derailleur as the chain was rubbing against it when on the largest ring but apart from that it all seems very well put together.

Over all I'm very happy and i cant wait for this snow and ice to melt so I can put some miles down

Top Bottom