Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Friday 17th

I bought a pack of ‘bungee-cord’ from B&Q earlier, & have just restrung the trailers cover, as the existing bungee has lost its elasticity
It’s green, because it was the cheapest they had

A57ACC59-7E97-49E2-A72D-835EAF57DF5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Spotted during Motorway Cops : Catching Britains Speeder

90B83004-1A8C-431A-AC16-C8A460CA1D53.jpeg

EDIT; Tuesday 21st @ 15:32

One of these, or so I believe?

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Here's the trailer I built from scratch to match my kit car. Steel chassis and GRP bodywork made using female moulds - a very low weight of 198 kg. As you can see it quickly converts into a caravan, with an L-shaped area for seating during the day and a 6ft x 4ft bed for the night. :tired:
It's for sale (the caravan - not the car!) to make way for another exciting project.

Attachments

• QuantumSleep 2.jpg
    QuantumSleep 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
Tuesday 21st

Rewired the near-side tail-light, at dinnertime
The 7-core wires had corroded, at the connector

I did think l'd have to run an earth from the near-side unit, to the off-side unit, as it had been giving intermittent faults, but it's okay now
(n/s earth's through the body, to the o/s, & earth cable)

Last edited:
Thursday 23rd

Just been to the local ‘tip’
(Cutsyke/Castleford)

I had to stop on the way there, coincidentally opposite ‘Havertop’ (the ‘new’ large central Police Station!, as l’d forgot to clip the number-plate on :blush:
(it was in the boot)

I did however, remember to slip the (not used since installed) safety cable over the ball
D3AF550B-4740-4670-81E1-0B3CD688C336.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I did however, remember to slip the (not used since installed) safety cable over the ball
View attachment 679126

Don't like to worry you, but that safety cable is of no use whatsoever, if the towball breaks, highly improbably agreed, but the most likely bit to braek, there is no safety involved as it will just come off. That is supposed to be fastened to the tow bracket not just slipped over the ball.

Don't like to worry you, but that safety cable is of no use whatsoever, if the towball breaks, highly improbably agreed, but the most likely bit to braek, there is no safety involved as it will just come off. That is supposed to be fastened to the tow bracket not just slipped over the ball.
True enough, reaching the towbar is awkward with a detachable ‘gooseneck’

EDIT @ 20:23
Safety chains/cables appear to be a standard length (+/- a couple of cm's) I'd have to use a length of chain to the bracket that I bolted to the 'receiver'

It's a standard size/thickness, to cater for all unbraked trailers

Last edited:
Even Ifor-Williams only fitted, when I had mine, safety-chains that were long enough to drop over the ball (as evidenced, by the loop on the end of the chain

It seems they still do looking at the P6/P7 brochure; https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/small-domestic/p6e-p7e-p8e/download/11054

presta

Guru
D

Deleted member 26715

@Richard A Thackeray I understand what you're saying but if that ball snaps, you've lost the trailer, we have a Ifor HB505 (double horse trailer) you can see with the way the cable had formed previous owners had only looped it over the ball. The Shogun has a slot/bracket in the towbar itself to fasten it to, I see many caravans the same way just looped over.

figbat

Slippery scientist
@Richard A Thackeray I understand what you're saying but if that ball snaps, you've lost the trailer, we have a Ifor HB505 (double horse trailer) you can see with the way the cable had formed previous owners had only looped it over the ball. The Shogun has a slot/bracket in the towbar itself to fasten it to, I see many caravans the same way just looped over.

Slight difference with horse trailers and caravans is that they are braked, and the breakaway cable’s job is to apply the trailer brakes on detachment. With an unbraked trailer the cable’s job is to keep the trailer with the car.

Not that this makes a difference if the towball detaches as both types of trailer will go their own way. My camping trailer has a chain that is formed in a loop so the only option is to drop it over the towball.

I have actually witnessed a trailer detachment. Many years ago I was in a car that was towing a small trailer. The driver looked in the mirror and said “oh, there goes the trailer” and I look back expecting to see it grinding to a halt. What I actually saw at first was nothing - no trailer at all. A moment later the trailer appeared, falling from whatever height it had achieved when the drawbar dug in and pole vaulted it skywards. It landed in the verge on its wheels, was apparently unharmed, rehitched and we carried on. At a guess I’d say this happened mid-80s… different times.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
The unbraked trailers have, as stated above a loop which goes around the towball. Because an unbraked trailer is low weight (<750kg loaded) the likelihood of the tow ball breaking is very small.

D

Deleted member 26715

The unbraked trailers have, as stated above a loop which goes around the towball. Because an unbraked trailer is low weight (<750kg loaded) the likelihood of the tow ball breaking is very small.

I beg to differ, it's not designed to go around the towball, that is just where everybody puts them, each tower/bracket will have a proper place to attach it to, just very few people do.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry asked for it to be deleted as I'm going for a pair of Chilli cameras

Top Bottom