Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
If anyone wants a trailer I have a daraxa 107 happy to let go for £80.
A bit of wood staining which should come off with a bit if wire wool

IMG_20230204_155555073.jpg

IMG_20230204_155537620.jpg

IMG_20230204_155520496.jpg

DRHysted

Guru
Change of car means everything needs to be checked, splashed out on new mirrors from EMUK. Hopefully I can reuse the roof bars, rear fitted OK.
This has an increase of towing rating from 1630kg to 1900kg and better nose weight limit from 85kg to 100kg. Hopefully it will feel more confident towing, and (maybe) have less of a drinking problem!

Attachments

• 99A768FA-0E6E-48AB-B74C-3F7A7DB9E735.jpeg
    99A768FA-0E6E-48AB-B74C-3F7A7DB9E735.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 3

DRM

Guru
Change of car means everything needs to be checked, splashed out on new mirrors from EMUK. Hopefully I can reuse the roof bars, rear fitted OK.
This has an increase of towing rating from 1630kg to 1900kg and better nose weight limit from 85kg to 100kg. Hopefully it will feel more confident towing, and (maybe) have less of a drinking problem!

Is it a Kuga?, I personally wouldn't fancy towing a nigh on 2 tonne caravan behind it, surely the 85% of kerb weight would put the limit at around 1500 KG, I wish manufacturers wouldn't make such claims as it really means the maximum that it will go up an incline from a stand still, they never say how quickly, or what state the clutch was in after that test, that size of caravan is firmly in Land Rover/Range Rover territory

Jameshow

Veteran

We had a Avondale dart 556.
Leaked like a colander but nice light (1300kg) van with some neat features.

Towed it with a focus once not recommended!🤣

Jameshow

Veteran
Is it a Kuga?, I personally wouldn't fancy towing a nigh on 2 tonne caravan behind it, surely the 85% of kerb weight would put the limit at around 1500 KG, I wish manufacturers wouldn't make such claims as it really means the maximum that it will go up an incline from a stand still, they never say how quickly, or what state the clutch was in after that test, that size of caravan is firmly in Land Rover/Range Rover territory

His van won't be above 1300kg I expect.

DRHysted

Guru

Remember the 85% rule isn’t a rule but advice. Otherwise I could never put 22 tonnes of product being pulled by 6.
This van comes in at 1250 fully loaded, so a nice match, not forgetting that the AWD Kuga is rated for 2100kg. I’m really hoping this has some of the confidence that my old 4x4 had (which hauled some stupid weights in its time included a garden shed), I’ve been towing with estates and saloons for the past 15years and although they’ve never let me down, they’ve never felt as solid.

DRHysted

Guru
Remember the 85% rule isn’t a rule but advice. Otherwise I could never put 22 tonnes of product being pulled by 6.
This van comes in at 1250 fully loaded, so a nice match, not forgetting that the AWD Kuga is rated for 2100kg. I’m really hoping this has some of the confidence that my old 4x4 had (which hauled some stupid weights in its time included a garden shed), I’ve been towing with estates and saloons for the past 15years and although they’ve never let me down, they’ve never felt as solid.

To be honest the increase in nose limit really ticked the box.

This is the booked site; https://www.oldpasturepark.co.uk/
Go on Sunday, back home Wednesday

Sunday 5th

Father-in-law, & I, took it over at dinnertime, travelling via; M62 > 'old' A1 > 'Tadcaster TurnPike (A162) > Sherburn-in-Elmet bypass > 'Bishopdike' > Cawood > 'Kelfield Ings' > Stillingfleet

We had a problem as usual (it wouldn't be the same, if we didn't) with the water-heater not firing up, but it was due to a not fully turned on 'tap' on the gas-bottle
The issue now, is if Lottie settles down, as she's not been in it before!

https://www.oldpasturepark.co.uk/

2FE49179-91A8-4B40-9A56-8E5C48DB9021.jpeg

A18E4A02-55E6-47D6-84DD-691E5F962D27.jpeg

Joanne arrived about an hour later, with Lottie (being walked, to extreme right)
C2C3D4BA-0EE3-48E9-9403-CDDE1513908D.jpeg

I departed just before 15:00, heading back, via Riccall & Kelfield (7 'geographs')

9891EF49-C785-4958-B0C5-DA4FF9C5C2F9.jpeg

Edit @ 18:42
Mint can be seen in my rear window, peeking out

Last edited:
EMUK mirrors are excellent
Personally, once they're set up, I'd chop them down a bit
I did so with both pairs (my Kodiaq, & SWMBOs Q3), to help avoid 'opposing strikes' on narrower roads

DRHysted

Guru
EMUK mirrors are excellent
Personally, once they're set up, I'd chop them down a bit
I did so with both pairs (my Kodiaq, & SWMBOs Q3), to help avoid 'opposing strikes' on narrower roads

It was your post that made me check them out, best and easiest mirrors to fit, hopefully they won’t let me down when at speed.
I did see your post about cutting the posts, but I thought I might keep them to give the mirrors a bit of protection when I’m on the narrow Scottish lanes (caught a few when avoiding logging lorries over the years).

DRM

Guru

I know it's advice, but when the tail starts wagging the dog, it can go spectacularly wrong in seconds, I've seen far too many cars towing caravans that are too heavy start snaking and before you know it the caravan is on it's side smashed to smithereens and the car is a write off, that's why I had the Discovery with good all terrain tyres for towing the BWSOW, plus with some out of the way caravan rallies we've been on, I knew we could get off a muddy field, and have had to drag stranded caravans off, most satisfying when it's the people constantly boasting how they never need a 4x4 to tow with, and you cannot compare the capacity of a car to an HGV, that's specifically designed for the job, I firmly believe manufacturers tow limits are pie in the sky figures, Land Rovers have the benefit of a high/low ratio transfer box with a centre diff lock to assist setting off with heavy trailers without wrecking the transmission, SUV's don't.

DRHysted

Guru
I know it's advice, but when the tail starts wagging the dog, it can go spectacularly wrong in seconds, I've seen far too many cars towing caravans that are too heavy start snaking and before you know it the caravan is on it's side smashed to smithereens and the car is a write off, that's why I had the Discovery with good all terrain tyres for towing the BWSOW, plus with some out of the way caravan rallies we've been on, I knew we could get off a muddy field, and have had to drag stranded caravans off, most satisfying when it's the people constantly boasting how they never need a 4x4 to tow with, and you cannot compare the capacity of a car to an HGV, that's specifically designed for the job, I firmly believe manufacturers tow limits are pie in the sky figures, Land Rovers have the benefit of a high/low ratio transfer box with a centre diff lock to assist setting off with heavy trailers without wrecking the transmission, SUV's don't.

Are good old landrovers.
They say 75% of landrovers are still on the road, the rest made it home.
If you want to drive into the jungle drive a landrover, if you want to drive back out drive a Toyota.
Landrover, overpriced and unreliable (and now very ugly).

Top Bottom