Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have something similar - I fitted a jockey wheel when I replaced the one on the caravan - the old was was still good enough for the trailer so I bought a bracket and fitted it. Makes loading and wheeling around much easier and I can store it level too.
It has a clamp already fitted for a jockey-wheel
I'm going to Indespension (Leeds) on Monday, to buy new light-units, so will measure & have a look

I'm only going to buy these (cheap!), as replacement light-units; https://indespension.co.uk/rear-combination-light

Last edited:
Sunday 15th

On close inspection, & a wash (to see what was dirt, & what was staining), l realised it was slightly ’biscuit-tinned’, ie: twisted
(pick up a square tin, & twist it laterally)

I could ‘WD40’ every bolt & slacken them all off, & try to straighten it
It might, or it might not work?

That said, years ago (when l had the Discovery), l bought a new trailer from Towsure
I collected it built, as it was as cheap at that time to buy it assembled
Even ‘off the shelf’, that was ‘biscuit-tinned’, so if this is (at a guess?) 10 years old, it’s not an issue
(till wife notices, then it might be??)

2CE792B9-83DB-4E55-BA42-4C7C72E427B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunday 15th

It did a first ‘paying its keep’ task about an hour ago
‘Tip-run’, to the (relatively) new site at Cutsyke, near ASDA - Glasshoughton (& ‘Xscape’)
594EAB2E-C028-4FBD-AD65-FB55337C6D6F.jpeg

Plus; after this mornings inspection, l’ll have to take the angle-grinder to the locking bolt, if l want to use the 'Tip' feature
1FDC8C6D-FD38-4903-AE9B-66084A7E9EFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunday 15th

Due to having the ‘vehicle specific wiring’ fitted, when the electrics & tow-bar were installed (& the relevant ‘coding’), the Kodiaq gives me helpful messages like this

The installer explained, but l’ll admit, l wasn’t really taking it all in back then

The two icons in the tachometer are generally the last to go out when l start the engine
(due to ‘self-testing’?)
The 'triangle/exclamation mark' stays displayed after the information-matrix has changed to the normal functions
2DD27283-8C88-4626-A588-E1BB72B98393.jpeg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Nice I did a little welding to my son's horse box trailer he's selling.

The. I'm going to build a flatbed trailer myself. I have a roof rack if 40mm section steel to use and a 50mm length for the draw bar.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Sunday 15th

Due to having the ‘vehicle specific wiring’ fitted, when the electrics & tow-bar were installed (& the relevant ‘coding’), the Kodiaq gives me helpful messages like this

The installer explained, but l’ll admit, l wasn’t really taking it all in back then

The two icons in the tachometer are generally the last to go out when l start the engine
(due to ‘self-testing’?)
View attachment 674463

Likely an earth issue somewhere or maybe an LED bulb fitted?

Likely an earth issue somewhere or maybe an LED bulb fitted?
The cover/lens is cracked (& I have no idea for how long?), so I'll be replacing both units

Why not not replace with led units??

I tend to think of trailer lights almost as 'disposable items'
Quite a few years ago, I managed to crack the light on my Ifor-Williams & through the backing too, by reversing then hitting a branch
Plus, I can replace both with bulbed units (inc VAT) for less than the cost of one LED unit (before VAT)
Towing. Trailers. Ifor-Williams. P6e. 11. 6.3.05..JPG
Because it’ll mess up the car’s trailer bulb failure detection system.
That's a reason too!
Some bulbs/units have resistors built in for that very purpose, I understand

Last edited:
I'm going to Indespension (Leeds) on Monday, to buy new light-units, so will measure & have a look

I'm only going to buy these (cheap!), as replacement light-units; https://indespension.co.uk/rear-combination-light
Monday 16th

We went this morning to Indespension (with a side-trip to the city-centre for daughter, so she could nip into 'Trinity Centre')
8D740DA2-023B-472C-A785-1EC8C095D7E3.jpeg

Unfortunately, they only had one light-unit, but spare lenses in stock

On arrival home, they looked identical, but….. there’s a difference of a millimetre or so in the size
That could simply be that the ‘bases’ have deformed slightly over the past few years?

For now, to save having to grind off seized mounting bolts off, l just put the lenses on
When l get another unit, l’ll sort them out. (& keep todays lens as a spare)

What could have been if SWMBO had offered to buy.................
Curiously, neither of these model numbers are listed on the Indespension website :wacko:

6F1912B9-47FF-4805-A05D-EEAE45187052.jpeg

20B87DD2-1BC4-4E9C-BF80-31C3BAE84AAF.jpeg

EDIT; Tuesday 17th @ 09:44
I also bought a safety cable whilst there, they didn't have any chain variants

42A637E4-4C00-4FB8-A61B-268EE280D22D.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom