Tour de France 2024 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He made a massive swerve left but it was calculated and didn't look dangerous. Although I haven't seen it again or from above

[Cav relegation]: I saw it from above. It looked like a "normal for sprinters" move, he wasn't moving to obstruct anyone, nowhere near the barriers, and I don't know how else he was going to move round the slower rider in front of him! Still, if this is a sign that the Commis are getting tougher, we have to accept their judgements.
Demare definitely shoved someone into the barriers. That's something they need to stamp out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[Cav relegation]: I saw it from above. It looked like a "normal for sprinters" move, he wasn't moving to obstruct anyone, nowhere near the barriers, and I don't know how else he was going to move round the slower rider in front of him! Still, if this is a sign that the Commis are getting tougher, we have to accept their judgements.
Demare definitely shoved someone into the barriers. That's something they need to stamp out.

It looked to me like he went round a slower rider and didn't seem bad. But I've given up trying to understand what's allowed and what isn't and just roll with it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why does the Tour visit Pau so often? The citizens of the neighbouring towns of Tinqué-Ouanqué, Dipsi and Là-Là want to know.
Over 4500 hotel rooms, suggests today's Inner Ring preview. It sure as heck can't be for the architectural splendour of the Palais des Pyrénées:
450px-Palais_des_Pyr%C3%A9n%C3%A9es_-_Pau.jpg

(cc-by-sa Flo641 at source)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm predicting win from the break today, sprinters teams wont be that keen to chase as the back end of the race is quite lumpy and GC teas will want to keep their powder dry for the Pyranees proper

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm predicting win from the break today, sprinters teams wont be that keen to chase as the back end of the race is quite lumpy and GC teas will want to keep their powder dry for the Pyranees proper

If Alpecin let the win go to a non-sprinter then Phillipsen's last hopes of the green jersey are gone. They're very slender as they are - a mathematical possibility only. Intermarche will be quite happy to let the big points go to someone else (anyone who isn't Phillipsen). Other sprinters teams with no win yet might be more disposed to chase,

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Really interesting discussion of the relegations on Eurosport. Here's my recollection.

Robbie is old skool and has no sympathy. He thinks riders these days don't know they're born and if Wout van Aert must keep putting himself in positions where he can be blocked, what does he expect.

Everyone except Robbie (and Demare de Lie) thought Demare De Lie's relegation was fair enough.

There's no rule against impeding other riders by slowing down in the sprint, as McLay did and caused Cav to swerve.

Cav was on a hiding to nothing when McLay slowed, and what he did avoided a crash.

But, in avoiding a crash he did change line and did impede the rider behind him so according to the rules he was in the wrong. Robbie thought that the ticking off that he got about changing his line after his win may have swayed their decision.

Not my opinions, and my recollection may be at fault.

Edited because I got De Lie and Demare's names mixed up

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Ayuso apparently has tested positive for Covid but still in the race....just.Did wonder what was up with him as he hasn't looked his best to be honest.
Edited to add he's abandoned feck ☹️

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ayuso apparently has tested positive for Covid but still in the race....just.Did wonder what was up with him as he hasn't looked his best to be honest.

Eurosport reported Cavendish as having said, in relation to Morkov's withdrawal, that he knew that other teams had riders with covid. That must be what he was referring to.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Really interesting discussion of the relegations on Eurosport. Here's my recollection.

Robbie is old skool and has no sympathy. He thinks riders these days don't know they're born and if Wout van Aert must keep putting himself in positions where he can be blocked, what does he expect.

Everyone except Robbie (and de Lie) thought De Lie's relegation was fair enough.

There's no rule against impeding other riders by slowing down in the sprint, as McLay did and caused Cav to swerve.

Cav was on a hiding to nothing when McLay slowed, and what he did avoided a crash.

But, in avoiding a crash he did change line and did impede the rider behind him so according to the rules he was in the wrong. Robbie thought that the ticking off that he got about changing his line after his win may have swayed their decision.

Not my opinions, but my recollection may be at fault.

yes I've just watched it back, De Lie Demare was downright dangerous.

Cav did move around a lot but it was questionable whether he blocked anyone, and as said was avoiding McClay. I only had front on view not above view though. Edit checking again, he did cause Coquard (cofidis) to swerve too, he prob should have followed Girmay through on the other side of McClay, it would have been a shorter route, but you have nano seconds to make a decision.

Its a shitty Tactic that De Lie / Lotto Demare / Arkea use, he protects one side with McClay decelerating and moving (his) left and then squeezes anyone coming the other way with the barrier to his right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom