Tour de France 2024 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At the risk of sounding like a pretentious nob, Macon always make me think "Cackon" from a line from Waiting for Godot.

I was never in the Macon country. I've puked my puke of a life away here I tell you. Here in the Cackon country

most French supporters stand at the top of a summit finish Waiting for Bardet. He rarely pleases them, bu I'm pleased for them and him he finally did.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So who, of current riders, can make it to the top of the leaderboard of stage wins and maybe challenge for the record?

1 Cav 35
2 Merckx 34
3 Hinault 28
4 Leduc 25
5 Darrigade 22

Probably only Pog.

Pog is 25 and has completed 4 tours plus this one so far and has 12 stage wins. Same as Cippolini, McEwen, Erik Zabel (and others) and 2 short of Kittel. 11 more needed to claim the 5th spot. Entirely possible.

Vingegaard is 27, has 3 wins from 3 completed tours, but he's more of an attritional GC rider than a flashy stage bagger like Pog. I can see him winning more GCs but not a bucketful of stages.

Phillipsen is 26. Has 6 from 2 completed tours. Given a long career and a lot of luck it's not entirely impossible but I'm not going to bet on it.

Remco is 24. 0 from 0 completed tours. I've just included him in order to make the Remco haters and Remco sceptics spit their tea. I'm such a troll.

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru
So who, of current riders, can make it to the top of the leaderboard of stage wins and maybe challenge for the record?

1 Cav 35
2 Merckx 34
3 Hinault 28
4 Leduc 25
5 Darrigade 22

Probably only Pog.

Pog is 25 and has completed 4 tours plus this one so far and has 12 stage wins. Same as Cippolini, McEwen, Erik Zabel (and others) and 2 short of Kittel. 11 more needed to claim the 5th spot. Entirely possible.

Vingegaard is 27, has 3 wins from 3 completed tours, but he's more of an attritional GC rider than a flashy stage bagger like Pog. I can see him winning more GCs but not a bucketful of stages.

Phillipsen is 26. Has 6 from 2 completed tours. Given a long career and a lot of luck it's not entirely impossible but I'm not going to bet on it.

Remco is 24. 0 from 0 completed tours. I've just included him in order to make the Remco haters and Remco sceptics spit their tea. I'm such a troll.

I think barring catastrophic injury, or some new star we don't know about yet, Pog probably WILL do it.

He will probably ride at least 10 more TdF, and will most likely win 3-4 stages in each of them, barring this hypothetical new star.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

1 Cav 35
2 Merckx 34
3 Hinault 28
4 Leduc 25
5 Darrigade 22

Probably only Pog.

I was thinking the same yesterday. No one sprinter is dominating at the moment, my thoughts were probably only Pog could get close to the top 3. Wout van Aert has 9 stage wins I think so far, but is 29, but is a monster

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was thinking the same yesterday. No one sprinter is dominating at the moment, my thoughts were probably only Pog could get close to the top 3. Wout van Aert has 9 stage wins I think so far, but is 29, but is a monster

I forgot Wout. It's possible, he can win anything, but working for Jonas might cramp his style

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Imagine how many Cav would have won without the Epstein Barr issue.

Cav was asked numerous times about his struggles on stage 1 and he was saying they new what they had to do to avoid the time cut off. More than that though, he said in one interview that were the other sprinters doing putting in too much effort to come in halfway down the field. I think he showed that conservation of energy is crucial.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Who do we fancy for todays sprint then........

Possible echelons apparently...WVA?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Imagine how many Cav would have won without the Epstein Barr issue.
You want to modify one bit of history and assume that everything else would remain the same? I think it's highly likely that he'd've been happily retired for a few years by now.

Some of the opinion pieces following yesterday's events have rightly highlighted his longevity, itself a by-product of the interrupted latter part of his career. Sometimes things work out for the best.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Cavendish has the biggest time gap between his first and last stage win. If this is so, you might wonder when he acquired this distinction. Clue - it wasn't very long ago.

Top Bottom