Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be fair, it was the right tactic - it forced Sky to play their hand probably earlier than they'd planned. Unfortunately, it was everyone except Froome and Porte who suffered as a result.

I imagine they'll try the same again - and it might even work. Froome won't be able to ride like that every day.
If you are aiming for a top ten finish then it was a sound tactic. If you want podium then it was poking the bear.

Well that's my afternoons freed up for the rest of July now.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Froome's performance was, I'm afraid, well into suspicious territory according to the Science in Sport analysis, so some scepticism is justified. However, the most important part of that articles is this:

"Ax-3-Domaines offers the same "qualified hope" - the top 12 performances pre-date this era (and then it is Menchov), though the climb is too new and infrequent to have the strength of history to really support any historical comparisons. That's why I'd caution against isolating today's performance, whether it is super fast or slow, and using it as "proof" of anything. Aside from the fact that performance will never prove clean vs doped, it's important to let the whole Tour unfold, with dozens of mountains, and then look at the climbs in context, with a big picture view."

We will have to wait and see. If Froome does this kind of thing regularly in the rest of the Tour and looks this easy, then the suspicions will get stronger. Wiggins last year certainly did not look easy at all; he was practically being dragged by the hair up some climbs by Froome.

SiS also mentions the possibilty that Froome put so much time into everyone else on this first big climb that all he needs to do now is hold off any attacks, so there will perhaps not be any 'collection of climbs' to analyse. I sure hope all is squeaky clean in sky, and everyone eslse too, but as FM says, with only Froome and Porte clocking up > 6.3 w/kg then suspicions will always be aroused, sad to say.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well, if they are not clean my guess is they have discovered something that is as yet (and for the foreseeable future) undetectable / unknown to the rest of the peloton.

Most of the second week might not have much excitement, but if Froome & Porte carry only the same time gaps there are places where they might be isolated/vulnerable later. Ventoux is a very long (242km) stage to control, especially if they've lost any of the "big diesels" before then. And the descent between the two ascents of Alpe d'Huez is maybe a place for a brave/foolhardy man to go on the attack. Froome is not the greatest descender in the peloton, may not want to take risks with yellow on his shoulders, especially if most of his domestiques have been used up on the first ascent?

SWSteve

Guru
Froome is not the greatest descender in the peloton, may not want to take risks with yellow on his shoulders, especially if most of his domestiques have been used up on the first ascent?

If the yellow has slipped from his shoulders he may attack, and win it back again.

I don't see why Sky may not have looked at this stage and thought "This is our big chance to take some time out of everyone else, one huge climb followed by another, let's do this" meaning they could go all guns today and then just stay with everyone else for tomorrow and then playing the rest by ear. I understand that could be viewed as naive, but if that works then you can't blame them.

Top Bottom