Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I couldnt believe the number and length of flaming adverts . I kept stopping catch up TV whilst I was out as I wasnt about to use a stack of data on bloody adverts.

Froome looked very strong, but ITV only picked it up after the attack. Idiots.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Been out all day so just caught up on the highlights. Blimey. Amazing ride by Froome. Even had time for some Tommy V impersonations in the final few km. ^_^

I was really rooting for Quintana on the final climb but kind of knew it was never going to happen. Shame. Great effort though.

Very pleased to see Mollema up there too. And what about Laurens Ten Dam! Awesome.

perplexed

Guru
I noticed that the main BBC evening news were banging on about some bat and ball competition in London, and lots of big men wrestling with each other in Australia, but spectacularly 100% failed to mention the Tour de France at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I noticed that the main BBC evening news were banging on about some bat and ball competition in London, and lots of big men wrestling with each other in Australia, but spectacularly 100% failed to mention the Tour de France at all.

Thats like my nephew. Big into his sport, moaning that England are crap at all sport, till I remind him our cyclists do rather well at all levels.

That sky are doping but Lopez, EBH and Suitsou are not? There is plenty of talk about it on other forums but i just don't buy it. They have made too firm a point by removing ex dopers from their set up. I seriously hope nothing fishy is going on, it would be quite literally s***e.
Yates and Leinders were conspicuous in their association with doping, sacrificially let go perhaps, and only reactively when the heat was on.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd rather have a "niaive" Quintana attacking than watch everyone else sit behind Sky trying to lose as little time as possible and 'fighting it out' for a top 10 GC place...
Quite. And I'm not sure of the naive tag either - he comes away having animated the race, wearing the white jersey, and pockets a €5000 prize for topping Paillères, the highest point of the tour. Not a bad haul for a 23-year old, all in all. I suspect there'll be a fair few similar challenges from other riders in this tour.

And doesn't he look smooth on a bike!

I'd rather have a "niaive" Quintana attacking than watch everyone else sit behind Sky trying to lose as little time as possible and 'fighting it out' for a top 10 GC place...
Great for us to watch but would he be 2 minutes down on GC had he decided to attack on the last climb and not the first? He would likely have been in the same ball park as Porte and we would be hailing his performance. As it stands though he has had a pretty bad day in terms of GC. The upside is that the cycling world is now VERY aware of his potential and if anyone didn't know the name Quintana then they will now.

Quintana interviewed said it was a deliberate ploy and Valverde was to sit on Froome while they responded. Sitting on him is the only way I can think of to stop him winning.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
To be fair, it was the right tactic - it forced Sky to play their hand probably earlier than they'd planned. Unfortunately, it was everyone except Froome and Porte who suffered as a result.

I imagine they'll try the same again - and it might even work. Froome won't be able to ride like that every day.

As a tactic then, one can conclude it was a failure. All it really achieved was to make Sky go full gas in an attempt to catch Quintana and in the process counter attack the entire GC. Both Quintana and Valverde lost considerable time to Sky/Froome. Had they let Sky control proceedings until AX 3 Domaines then they could have attacked or at least attempted to hold the wheel in front. Played right in to Sky's hands imo. Froome has done it all year - kept it high paced and tright until the final few km's then ripped it apart.

Top Bottom