Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Yeah, maybe he changed from a heavier bike to a lighter bike for the final climb is what I'm suggesting, rather than the other way round, which is what people seem to be assuming - without any good reason afaics.

The bike weight check is probably just a coincidence.

I can't for the life of me think why any team would have road bikes that weren't all exactly 6.8 kg.

thom

____
I can't for the life of me think why any team would have road bikes that weren't all exactly 6.8 kg.

And if you wanted more weight for a descent, much easier to take a couple of full bidons rather than swap a bike. Fill the bidons with lead if you really want the weight ;-)

VamP

Banned
And if you wanted more weight for a descent, much easier to take a couple of full bidons rather than swap a bike. Fill the bidons with lead if you really want the weight ;-)

I am not convinced there is any advantage to having extra weight on the descent. What you gain on acceleration you lose on cornering.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Well, we don't have any evidence that weight was anything to do with his reason for changing bikes - apart from the unfounded rumours linking the bike change with the weigh-in at the finish.

I suppose it makes a change from rumours about Sky's secret magic beans.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Didn't they already ban lead-weighted bidons some years ago?

VamP

Banned
Ostensibly, safety. Not sure if there's any scientific reason to believe lighter bikes are genuinely less safe though or if it's just one of those UCI quirks.

I think it's an anachronism. UCI just hasn't updated the limit for a good few years now, and you could probably go to 5.8kg or less now with no safety compromises.

Ostensibly, safety. Not sure if there's any scientific reason to believe lighter bikes are genuinely less safe though or if it's just one of those UCI quirks.

It does makes some intuitive sense that if a team skimp on material here and there, they'll get a marginal advantage (and we know they all add up) and this may threaten safety if some push the limit too far - and I doubt any team (or rider) would seriously imperil their safety for a slender advantage. Given that we are developing new materials all the time, they may well lower the limit? Especially given that some bikes already exist for sale below the limit. http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/RaceTalk/uci-weight-limit-68kg.html

I hope they do, as this weight limit may well hinder the development of newer materials and innovations. Graphene bikes would be far stronger and much lighter (though they are more than a few years off yet).

Top Bottom