Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Absolutely cracking finish that.

If Froome is penalised, then the feeding-from-the-car rule seems pretty silly to me (- I've only been watch cycling since last years' Vuelta). If it is intended to ensure that the rider doesn't get a pull from the car, then it makes sense, but the fact Porte gave the food to Froome should mean only Porte is penalised?

As for the bike weight issue - why would there be a minimum weight? To ensure teams don't compromise the structural integrity and safety of the bike?
Surely they'll check all the bikes on the cars? But I really can't believe anyone would suggest Contador would do anything sly or underhand... :whistle:

penalized 20secs. Did it make any difference with 5k to go, taking it?

I'm not sure how immediate the physical effects are, but it probably would have given him a psychological boost.

I still don't see why Froome was penalised given that he didn't go anywhere near the team car. If he'd had the gel in his pocket from earlier in the day, he'd have been allowed to eat it, right?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Froome said there was a problem with the team car and it wasn't close enough to get anything from....just over five minutes advantage over Contador, should be it! Well done again Ritchie Porte.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
he was down the descent and hadn't changed bikes, as far as i know, before the drop.

Yeah, maybe he changed from a heavier bike to a lighter bike for the final climb is what I'm suggesting, rather than the other way round, which is what people seem to be assuming - without any good reason afaics.

The bike weight check is probably just a coincidence.

VamP

Banned
I'm not sure how immediate the physical effects are, but it probably would have given him a psychological boost.

I still don't see why Froome was penalised given that he didn't go anywhere near the team car. If he'd had the gel in his pocket from earlier in the day, he'd have been allowed to eat it, right?

Immediate. As soon as your body senses carbohydrate coming in (via taste buds) it releases glycogen reserves that were being held back for rainy day.

Top Bottom