Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think there are any riddles or hidden secrets here. He was simply found out after a huge effort on the first real day of climbing.

Given that he'd already put in a big effort to help launch Froome last Saturday, it seems (with hindsight) that he was a bit reckless to then go haring after him like an excitable puppy. He didn't need to do that, and he paid the price for it in a big way on Sunday. It's fine doing that in the Criterium International when you can rest the next day, but not at the end of week one of a three week tour.

Edit: they're talking about Porte on ES now and Kelly is basically saying he peaked too early this season.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just got in and there's no sign of Voelkler in the breakaway or chasers?!

They look completely worn out don't they? Weren't there complaints that the winter training programme was fine for the likes of Brad and Froome, but was far too hard for the rest of them, and that they were knackered even before the season started? Even after a fairly ordinary stint up front, they're straight off the back, finished for the day. They just seem to be burnt out. Not good that.
Makes sense because all of them were going better at the start of the season or seemed to be. It could well be that something has gone wrong with the training sessions. Look at JTL, what the hell has happened to him this season.

they're talking about Porte on ES now and Kelly is basically saying he peaked too early this season

Very possibly. Though i do think what you said about Porte chasing after Froome on Ax Trois being unnecessary and a little foolhardy. He has paid a hefty price. In his defence he could never have seen the following stage's antics coming. With hindsight i am positive he would have acted differently.
On the other hand Contador is riding into his peak (self claimed) so hopefully we will see the best of him where it will really count. He also has an amazing eye for opportunities and has real leadership experience. I hope, from a fans perspective, that he becomes the unpredictable explosive rider he was at last years Vuelta and of seasons past.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't understand why Porte was busting a gut on the ITT to finish 3rd when he should have been sandbagging and conserving energy to support Froome tomorrow. Even an unlikely stage win would have been fairly pointless in Sky's longer term cause

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Are they gonna reel this guy in?

Top Bottom