Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Movistar will now be anything but complacent - Quintana has a real chance to move up the rankings in the mountains. Instead of being a potential procession, we are now in a situation in which Froome is vulnerable and anything could happen.

lukesdad

Hoogerland and Tommy V me to light it up today me reckons at least I hope so.

raindog

er.....
So what on Earth has happened to Sky?
They look completely worn out don't they? Weren't there complaints that the winter training programme was fine for the likes of Brad and Froome, but was far too hard for the rest of them, and that they were knackered even before the season started? Even after a fairly ordinary stint up front, they're straight off the back, finished for the day. They just seem to be burnt out. Not good that.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The tour just got really interesting.....can't wait to see what happens on Ventoux and the Alps now. It's shaping up to be a real drama fest, much better viewing than last yr.

Even if Chris doesn't win (and I still think he will) he can be proud of what he's done so far. I'm not sure it's a case of SKY being over tired, just inexperienced at crosswind riding, getting caught out, and not having the firepower to close. I think Froome was sensible to not try and close to Saxo on his own. Like Cav said, if you don't spot it in 5secs, you've missed it, and it's next to impossible to close without burning yourself, and Chris needs that energy for the mountains. I think he made a calculated risk in sitting up and letting the break go, but he had enough time in the bank to have some margin of doubt. We've seen Contador's weakness in the mountains already, yet to see Mollema go for it, so for me the biggest threat is Quintana. Now Vallverde is out, Movistar should throw their weight behind the Columbian, and they have a formidable climbing force.

Slaav

Guru
They look completely worn out don't they? Weren't there complaints that the winter training programme was fine for the likes of Brad and Froome, but was far too hard for the rest of them, and that they were knackered even before the season started? Even after a fairly ordinary stint up front, they're straight off the back, finished for the day. They just seem to be burnt out. Not good that.

I think I read that also. They looked OK earlier in the season though?

And Richie Porte? Wasn't he meant to be the Super D this year with a small eye on leading the team in a GT in the near future? Certainly doesn't seem to have raised his star by much in his current role.... Or are Sky conserving energy for wk 3 in light of their awful luck and already having lost two members? ANd did anyone read an explanation for Kiryienka? (Spelling)

Personally I am disappointed to see Sky underperform as I genuinely thought they would repeat or at least compete with last year's showing. :sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think I read that also. They looked OK earlier in the season though?

And Richie Porte? Wasn't he meant to be the Super D this year with a small eye on leading the team in a GT in the near future? Certainly doesn't seem to have raised his star by much in his current role.... Or are Sky conserving energy for wk 3 in light of their awful luck and already having lost two members? ANd did anyone read an explanation for Kiryienka? (Spelling)

Personally I am disappointed to see Sky underperform as I genuinely thought they would repeat or at least compete with last year's showing. :sad:
I've been wondering whether Richie Porte is deliberately keeping out of sight and not showing what his current form is. He's gone from hero to zero far too quickly, and he should have fully recovered from his exploits earlier in the week. Instead, all eyes are off him.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You would have to assume Tommy V would want a piece of tomorrows breakaway action!

He was notable for his total lack of effort yesterday. Clearly saving himself for today.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just seen Froome interviewed on ES. He seems quite philosophical about what happened yesterday, reckons Contador will have used up an awful lot of energy for that one minute gain. Had a bit of a glint in his eye when he said it too, I thought - have a feeling he might be planning to put the hammer on Contador tomorrow.

Quintana is off the leash now too - he'll be looking to make inroads in the GC tomorrow too. It'll be interesting to see if Kwiatkowski can stay in touch in the white jersey comp.

Bets for stage winner tomorrow? Question is whether it'll be someone like Purito or Nieve aiming to salvage their Tour with a big stage win, or will one of the GC boys go for it - Froome, Contador or Quintana?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Anyway, back to today's stage - Millar and Voigt in the break, unsurprisingly.

Also Tejay and Julien Simon, both of whom I half-expected to be there.

Also Talansky, Albasini, Vichot, Bak, Bakelants, Burghardt, Rojas, Kadri, Brutt... That's a very strong group. Interesting.

No Hoogerland though. That's another virtual bet lost! ^_^

No TV either!

raindog

er.....
Just now, one of the motorbike journalists managed to get alongside of a TeamSky car and started chatting to Nicolas Portal about Froome and yesterday's stage etc, and Brailsford told Portal to stop talking. This kind of thing really doesn't endear Sky to the public over here. :sad:

Just now, one of the motorbike journalists managed to get alongside of a TeamSky car and started chatting to Nicolas Portal about Froome and yesterday's stage etc, and Brailsford told Portal to stop talking. This kind of thing really doesn't endear Sky to the public over here. :sad:
I kind of got the feeling that Sky were not popular in Europe. In fact they don't seem to popular in the peloton either, imo.

I've been wondering whether Richie Porte is deliberately keeping out of sight and not showing what his current form is. He's gone from hero to zero far too quickly, and he should have fully recovered from his exploits earlier in the week. Instead, all eyes are off him.
I don't think there are any riddles or hidden secrets here. He was simply found out after a huge effort on the first real day of climbing. 2nd place on GC would have been high on Sky's and Porte's TDF agenda - whilst it was still possible. He has been quiet since as he has nothing to fight for. His main focus has to be to look after Froome in the mountains. You could argue that, as he doesn't have to concern himself with his own GC standing, he will give 120% to helping Froome dawg put more time into his rivals.

Top Bottom