Things you find very difficult to open, or get into etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember struggling in my then local pub to rip open a packet of Planter's dry roast peanuts, in 1986. I know it was in 1986 as the football world cup in Mexico was on the pub telly at the time. I asked the landlord for some scissors to cut the packet open, but instead he grabbed the packet off me then ripped them open with his teeth, handing the covered in saliva peanut packet back to me!! :ohmy: xx( xx( xx( xx( Needless to say I chucked the packet in the bin, the dirty devil!!🧐:thumbsdown:

stephec

Squire
Notoriously very hard to open!! :unsure: I once spent 45 minutes using a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to get into the steak and kidney one, before my vegetarian days, after my can opener broke trying to open it!!:cursing:

View attachment 742684

That's probably a good thing, it means you're more likely to give up and eat something decent instead.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember those corned beef tins with the key to uncoil the razor sharp opening. :unsure: I could never quite work out which way to turn the key, as in left or right. Many times I turned it the wrong way causing it to snap off leaving me to use a pair of pliers to either dangerously try and pull the sharp roll round bit off the tin, or use the pliers as a replacement key, while still keeping my eye on that dodgy sharp wrap round bit. :unsure:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
At work there's plethora of products that infuriate me on a daily basis. The tomato puree tubes come in a box made from military grade cardboard which is an absolute sod to open. Same for the breadsticks. I'm sure they'll all be broken after I've punched my way into the box. Then there's product boxes with perforations to make them easy to rip open, but then they wrap sellotape over the perforations to make it hard. The boxes of wine come in a pack of four with a neat little perforated flap, remove that and you still can't get any of the boxes out because whoever designed it was a farkwit, and the huge boxes the crisps come in are so feeble that if you pick one up too quick you end up with half a cubic meter of crisps on the floor and an empty baseless box in your hands! I could go on... :cursing:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I remember those corned beef tins with the key to uncoil the razor sharp opening. :unsure: I could never quite work out which way to turn the key, as in left or right. Many times I turned it the wrong way causing it to snap off leaving me to use a pair of pliers to either dangerously try and pull the sharp roll round bit off the tin, or use the pliers as a replacement key, while still keeping my eye on that dodgy sharp wrap round bit. :unsure:

tin opener... take off the top and bottom for stress free* corned beef

*getting the tin opener around the tight corners can be slightly stressful though

tin opener... take off the top and bottom for stress free* corned beef

*getting the tin opener around the tight corners can be slightly stressful though

Best toi use a MagiCan type can opener for these
Basically one that opens the can using a horizontal blade (assuming the can is flat on the worktop)
This means there is no lip on the top to get in the way

On the other side of the argument - You need a vertical blade can opener for the Tinned Pies pictured above because this leaves the tin slightly higher then the horizontal versions which prevents the contents boiling over while cooking

Also - the vertical ones leave the sharp bits on the lid which is easily chucked out immediately - out of the way of kids fingers and clumsy adults

I have very strict rules about which one is used to which can

When we were re-organising the kitchen after it was recently done up my wife wanted to know why we needed 4 can openers
OK one was useless and had just slipped to the back
but I explained to her in detail teh exact criteria needed to determine which type was needed for what type of can

In the end she agreed with me

well - to be honest - I think "gave up" may be a better description
as might "lost the will to live"
but we still have 3 anyway (one is a spare vertical one which also has a handy bottle opener)

anyone want more details???

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
How about those daft tethered plastic bottle tops that are supposed to encourage me to re-cycle the top as well as the bottle? You need a Mole wrench to get them unscrewed. Then, you need the Mole again to get it back on before your tonic water loses its bubbles even faster than it did before this planet-saving wonder.

Those frigging things are the 👿's spawn.

Top Bottom