The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
I'm in that situation at the moment.
I thought I'd change the crank seals on my Montesa trials bike.
One is located behind the primary drive gear as arrowed in the picture.
View attachment 749262

I'd read on a forum that the gear pinion can be a buggar to remove. They are right!
It's only held on by a taper, but so far I've broken two pullers and it hasn't budged.
I've applied heat, used a heavy duty puller I've had for years and hit it with an air impact gun - result...... broken puller and pinion still in place. :angry:
Last ditch effort - I've ordered a genuine Montesa puller - £38. If that don't work I'll have to look at my options.
I've never, in over 50 years of working on bikes, had anything ever defeat me. This might be a first! :wacko:

did you use penetrating oil ? heat to expand first maybe , use oil and leave it to seep for a good while

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all.
I am tempted to put a "Cooooeeee" in but could SHE sue me?
Mr Fixit fitted the Dimplex heater in the bathroom yesterday. Took longer than expected because the only logical place for it meant drilling through the lintel. Anyway its in and it works fine.
Been awake since 03.30 might have a bite to eat and go back to bed.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have never been on any sort of group ride. Nothing about it appeals to me, especially when they think they have the right to take up the whole road.

Morning all,
I used to quite like club rides. Over the years I was a member of a local club, London St. Christphers, I used to go out with the local CTC group and I also did a lot of the FNRTTC with Cycle Chatters.

Anyway,
Goid morning all.
It's a damp misty start to the day here. The overnight rain has stopped, but looks like it may come back again later.
I've got to drop MrsP at the station, she is going to meet up with her friends who are gathering just outside Swindon for a couple of days.
So it's me, the dog and the cats for a while.
I've got a few minor little jobs to do, and then this evening there is the Track cycling European championship starting in Denmark. Its on BBC2 and the iplayer.

Top Bottom