The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just back from Tesco where I got a 1 litre bottle of Baileys for £13 with Clubcard instead of usual £22. Good saving.
We also bought a £12 meal for two for tonight including a bottle of red wine. That is good value too. The main course is Slow cooked Pulled beef with Chianti sauce and cheddar & herb dumplings.
Side dish is Baby potatoes, Chantenay carrots & broccoli.
For desert:melt in the middle chocolate fondant.

Sounds good doesn't it?
Bon appetit

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I just had a cuppa and a mahoosive iced Chelsea bun from our local bakers. :biggrin:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Well, that went smoothly. One hour and ten minutes after walking out of the front door I am back home, having travelled by bus to and from Poole Hospital and having a couple of X rays on my Knee. I spent less than ten minutes in the Hospital from walking through the door, making my way to and checking in to Radiology reception to walking out the door and heading back to the Bus station😮

Gunk

Guru
One of those days that makes you think thank goodness I packed it all in, met a pal on our motorbikes at Gilkes Garage Cafe at Kineton https://gilksgaragecafe.com/ also a favourite stop with the hardcore sports cyclists because of the climb out of Kineton. Absolutely freezing this morning, coldest 80 miles I’ve ridden for a long time but the skies were blue and the views amazing, so all worth it.

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2114.jpeg

Gave my son another driving lesson this afternoon before he starts his official, proper lessons next week, he’s a natural and has picked it up really quickly. Now enjoying a beer with a dark meat pie in the oven.

Last edited:
One of those days that makes you thing, thank goodness I packed it all in, met a pal on our motorbikes put at Gilkes Garage Cafe at Kineton https://gilksgaragecafe.com/ also a favourite stop with the hardcore sports cyclists because of the climb out of Kineton. Absolutely freezing this morning, coldest 80 miles I’ve ridden for a long time but the skies were blue and the views amazing, so all worth it.

View attachment 748779

View attachment 748780

Gave my son another driving lesson this afternoon before he starts his official, proper lessons next week, he’s a natural and has picked it up really quickly. Now enjoying a beer with a dark meat pie in the oven.

Wouldn;t you be more comfortable on the sofa
Ovens are quite cramped

screenman

Legendary Member
A question, out interest (if I may).
I understand that you train people to fix dents etc.
Assuming he/she is of average ability, how long is the training process?
No ulterior motives here.

I have stopped training people how to fix dents as the failure rate was far too high. In the USA, for every 400 people going on a dent course, only one is likely to earn any money from it, our number here will not be much different. Those who do earn are paid extremely well. It is not the two week course but the months of dedicated practise on scrap panels and cars that it needs, this is where most people fail. My practise consisted of a minimum of 3 hours a day, more often more for 365 days without a single day off Xmas day included.

I still teach people how to repair windscreens correctly, something 90% of the repair guys do not do, the big companies included.

I should add that I do only play at work now, doing what want to for the people I want to, it is a very long time since I considered I went to work properly.

If I were to give any advice on entering the dent trade, it would be to have a look at a Dent Devils franchise, good quality 3 months of training and ongoing support in your first few months or longer.

I have never owned a Dent franchise, I did, however, own a windscreen repair franchise three in fact, back in the nineties, which I did extremely well from and sold at the right time, keeping the best customers as part of the agreement.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi you lot, first post in here, I'm only 67! Very sunny here, Dexter walked early. Going on my first walk with a group found online, Widows and Walking, we're meeting at Cromer. Me and five ladies, I will be on my best behaviour. Slight ground frost earlier but still in shorts.

Hi and welcome. Be careful, though. I used to be a lot younger when I first joined this group, and they have all led me astray.

I have just tried to join the Widows and Walking FB group, I have only just realised that I am a widower, I have not given it much thought until now, I do not expect to get invited to join.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have stopped training people how to fix dents as the failure rate was far too high. In the USA, for every 400 people going on a dent course, only one is likely to earn any money from it, our number here will not be much different. Those who do earn are paid extremely well. It is not the two week course but the months of dedicated practise on scrap panels and cars that it needs, this is where most people fail. My practise consisted of a minimum of 3 hours a day, more often more for 365 days without a single day off Xmas day included.

I still teach people how to repair windscreens correctly, something 90% of the repair guys do not do, the big companies included.

I should add that I do only play at work now, doing what want to for the people I want to, it is a very long time since I considered I went to work properly.

If I were to give any advice on entering the dent trade, it would be to have a look at a Dent Devils franchise, good quality 3 months of training and ongoing support in your first few months or longer.

I have never owned a Dent franchise, I did, however, own a windscreen repair franchise three in fact, back in the nineties, which I did extremely well from and sold at the right time, keeping the best customers as part of the agreement.

Very enlightening, thank you.

Top Bottom