The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Pretty stressful day today, packing up our son, who is going off to Southampton University tomorrow, no longer have the BMW 3 Series estate so it’s like Tetris trying to get it all into a Golf.

Mrs Gunk is very emotional about him going so it’s been a very odd day.

All packed, one of those times I wish we had a bigger car!

IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg

Dave7

Legendary Member
To me that would mean Saturday next week.

This Saturday would be the coming Saturday, ie, the next one...

I am even more confused now

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all.
I awoke again to heavy rain beating on the windows. More rain is forecast for most of the day, and tomorrow.
I have two tubs of fence paint to return to B&Q, MrsP doesn't like the colour, Harvest Gold, and get something a bit darker like light oak.
Because of the weather it will probably be a TV catch up kind of day.

screenman

Legendary Member
Despite being disconnected from the mains and the larger power supply battery, the alarm decided to start sounding off again this morning. It has not been terminated by cutting the wires inside the bell box. A bit of housework and a visit to see my eldest this afternoon, my grandson's 21st tomorrow, so I will drop a card and pressie in. I really should pop into Lidl but that can wait until tomorrow, it is very busy in there on a Sunday. Have great day everyone.

screenman

Legendary Member
Morning all.
Raining here and forecast to be on/off all day.
Feeling good this morning. Legs are still sh*t but I can live with that (better than the alternative, as they say).
Funny(ish) story.
My daughter was due to have a long time friend visit yesterday, due at 17. 00.
17. 45, no sign. Meals had been cooked the previous day.
Daughter re reads the message...... It said "see you next Saturday" .
Now, to her and me" next" Saturday means, literally, the next one ahead.
Some people take it to means the following Saturday (very confusing).
Good job there was room in the freezer for 2 lots of curry :laugh:.

To a Lincolnshire tradesman, that could mean any day in the distant future but more likely not at all.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It's gone really dark and dismal here but no rain yet.

I've washed the bedding and it's currently hanging on the doors :laugh:. I think it will take a long time to dry.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Morning all.
Raining here and forecast to be on/off all day.
Feeling good this morning. Legs are still sh*t but I can live with that (better than the alternative, as they say).
Funny(ish) story.
My daughter was due to have a long time friend visit yesterday, due at 17. 00.
17. 45, no sign. Meals had been cooked the previous day.
Daughter re reads the message...... It said "see you next Saturday" .
Now, to her and me" next" Saturday means, literally, the next one ahead.
Some people take it to means the following Saturday (very confusing).
Good job there was room in the freezer for 2 lots of curry :laugh:.

To me that would mean Saturday next week.

This Saturday would be the coming Saturday, ie, the next one...

Hmm!

One of those existential dilemmas that us retirees can really spend some time on whilst it rains, or even whilst waiting for paint to dry etc. 🤣

Who said retirement is no fun?

So... to add to the debate, after giving it a whopping few minutes thought, the issue is possibly compounded by the lack, or presence of, non-verbal communication and vocal tone information alongside the message content itself.

Worth dropping into the mix? ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmm!

One of those existential dilemmas that us retirees can really spend some time on whilst it rains, or even whilst waiting for paint to dry etc. 🤣

Who said retirement is no fun?

So... to add to the debate, after giving it a whopping few minutes thought, the issue is possibly compounded by the lack, or presence of, non-verbal communication and vocal tone information alongside the message content itself.

Worth dropping into the mix? ^_^
Better still, said as you or the other person is leaving. I'll see you Saturday next, not next Saturday.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Right, now for a serious question. I have renewed my car insurance with the AA and since then, I receive emails offering me a free car safety kit if I pay for the postage. I have ignored it so far in case it is a scam. So what do you think ? Is it genuine or a scam?

classic33

Leg End Member
Right, now for a serious question. I have renewed my car insurance with the AA and since then, I receive emails offering me a free car safety kit if I pay for the postage. I have ignored it so far in case it is a scam. So what do you think ? Is it genuine or a scam?
Is it from the AA?
If not, I'd not be giving my details to anyone.

Top Bottom