The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Aladin’s lamp done again. It is just too nice not to have attempted a little spin.

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 12.32.08.png

postman

Squire
well i have spent the morning in a sunny garden.i have just finished weeding,the driveway front garden and back garden.my task for tomorrow is going to manchester to decorate for our son.retirement vot iz zis vord you talk about..you may be wondering why there are no capitol letters,it is because i am holding my lunch in my left hand.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just noticed they also cover people aged 70 & over.
I did a look the other day, but for us, the breakdown (including Europe) & insurance makes it still well worth even the £18 fee.

Yes, us too at £13, I haven’t yet researched the £18 situation. I actually had the misfortune to try out the breakdown cover, yesterday. Broke down on M6 southbound just south of Carlisle. No complaints, quite slick, replacement battery sourced and fitted, by very pleasant AA patrol (they use AA to provide breakdown cover). Three hours from calling for assistance to being fixed and on our way.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes, us too at £13, I haven’t yet researched the £18 situation. I actually had the misfortune to try out the breakdown cover, yesterday. Broke down on M6 southbound just south of Carlisle. No complaints, quite slick, replacement battery sourced and fitted, by very pleasant AA patrol (they use AA to provide breakdown cover). Three hours from calling for assistance to being fixed and on our way.

I've got a flexplus account, and the fee goes up from £13 to £18 in December.
I still think that it's pretty good for worldwide travel insurance, breakdown cover, no matter whose car you are in, and mobile phone insurance.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I still think that it's pretty good for worldwide travel insurance, breakdown cover, no matter whose car you are in, and mobile phone insurance.

Yes, I would agree, in general, however, in our case, although we did extensive foreign travel in the past, I think, Mrs Boldon’s Alzheimer’s means an end to that. She can, currently, cope with UK travel.

gbb

Squire
Good day. I've stuck my head out of the back door, yes, opened it first, and it is a beautiful autumnal morning. I'll be going to collect the small shortly and with the weather so good I've no doubt it will be a very busy day. Small one loves to be outside. I'm hoping Mrs P will take her swimming this morning. I've been awake far too long and need a nap.

School is back. I usually arrive back in the village with small person at 8.50/8.55 when the school run is at it's peak. Oh, I do love the ten minutes of chaos as the parents jockey for road position and parking spots. Me? I just casually breeze down the road very slowly, often to the annoyance of the person behind who is desperate to get little Johnny to school on time, there is no point in rushing. Hey, I live here! I'll go at my pace. I should stress very slowly is actually essential, the path is rammed with primary school children but that makes no difference to the parents in cars which is why I drive very slowly.

I've taken to standing on the road outside our grandkids school. Double yellow lines right at the entry to school gives parents and kids some visibility, but no some mums park on the double yellows feet away from a throng of mums and kids and some even leave their engines running.
I'm really non confrontational so quite averse to saying anything...so I do it different. Just stand there with the girls and prevent anyone pulling up.

What is it with schools ?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

I have similar with Lloyds but is £22.50 a month ( just gone up from £20 last month) It also stops at age 80 so when Mrs G is 80 next year, I will change the account.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've taken to standing on the road outside our grandkids school. Double yellow lines right at the entry to school gives parents and kids some visibility, but no some mums park on the double yellows feet away from a throng of mums and kids and some even leave their engines running.
I'm really non confrontational so quite averse to saying anything...so I do it different. Just stand there with the girls and prevent anyone pulling up.

What is it with schools ?

Not the school's fault; it lies with the ignorant, selfish parents.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've watched the first two episodes so far, and it's pretty bad, but like you I'm kind of hooked on it now. It is pretty far fetched, but the writer has a great imagination. I shall continue to watch.

Good morning all..
I have ordered a new fence panel and fence paint, to be delivered on Friday.
Guess what my job over the weekend is? The fence hasn't been done for some years, and nor has the shed. I've ordered 4 x 9 litre tubs of Ronseal fencelife plus which I think should be enough for the job. No @classic33 it does seem a lot for one new panel, but I have 15 panels plus the shed and back gate to do.
I'm taking Millie to the Vet this morning, routine blood tests to see how she is doing, which outwardly seems very well.
The grass will be cut later on, no doubt it won't be the last time this year.
Another busy day in paradise 😁
Like many on here I can vividly recall the very first time I met her** (1966).
**Classic.... not when you met her ^_^
Yes, as you say, I still love her always will.
NB
I was tempted once recently when Welshie posed for me in her new bloomers but most people would be tempted by that vision
What have I said?

Top Bottom