The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I had a 5.2 mile walk/jog this morning. I’m far too heavy to run comfortably but got to make a start. Hopefully now that the weather is cooling down I might find it easier.

I feel your pain Mo, part of my problem is not having an event to train for. That helps my focus on being disciplined with regard to what I eat. Mrs Tkk's birthday next March falls on a Sunday and we've found a running event on her birthday. It's organised by " It's Grim Up North running " and there's various distances along the Leeds Liverpool canal at Saltaire. We're going to enter the half, that should give me focus.

Dave7

Legendary Member
At some point today I'll be buying travel insurance for our holidays. I think this is going to be very expensive.

When I had cancer Tui wanted minimum £1000,00 for insurance.
Some companies were just not interested.
A company called Insure With was recommended and if remember correctly it cost £170.
Worth trying.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Salut. Still in bed but feels windy outside.
Mrs G has booked a holiday next May in Ibiza ( the quiet part of the Island) with our two daughters and grand daughter for next May. I am not going but will be on dog sitting duty in Devon for a week.
I am not interested in holidays abroad anymore and will settle with just visiting my brothers in Orleans when I feel like it.
Anyway, we have friends coming for lunch today so a bit of shopping to do first.
Au revoir.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@gavroche my daughter and SiL want me to go abroad with them.
They struggle to understand that my want/needs have totally changed recently........ What, with Sue dying and my legs being bad.
Only yesterday the subject came up again with her saying "we can hire a mobility scooter for you".
Never say never etc but I can't get excited over the idea.

screenman

Legendary Member
:hello: Morning, banana milkshakes at bedtime don't work for me ....... 2hrs 39mins :tired:

Night Nurse works for me, both nights she been here for me I have slept well for 8+ hours.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Morning all!

Various bits & pieces:

Cool day, some sunshine, drizzle due this pm. Great! It is a year to the day that we came back from a short break in lovely York. That's one whole year of rain! The stat's show that to date this year we have had 205% of our normal rainfall.

@Dave7 & @gavroche re holidays abroad. This may be age related. We know several other couples/singles of our age that really cba with the whole going abroad thing. Too much hassle. Too tiring. Too much 'done it all before'!

We are in the same camp too. We were planning a road trip to Holland, SE Germany and Belgium next year. Been 'on the cards' for years but after a 7 hour trip back from Bournemouth early last month; our desire for 2600 miles of driving over 3 weeks simply evaporated.

We still have a few 'abroad' holidays in mind but have far less enthusiasm than we did before so; maybe we will, maybe we won't! Who knows?!

Re exercise. I am struggling with motivation tbh. I am diligent with my treadmill & mult-gym weight sessions but the outdoor stuff I find difficult.

I think the appalling weather this year is partially to blame. I have found it hard to get out hiking in the mountains and getting out on the bike is well, best forgotten.

I also think my enthusiasm for such things has waned too. Don't get me wrong, I am much fitter and more mobile than most people my age and wish to maintain this but... it doesn't seem quite as important to me as it once did.

Maybe a spell of decent weather would buck me up. That's a funny turn of phrase eh?

Have a spiffing day all.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
@SpokeyDokey , I agree with your views on holidays abroad. I just can't be doing with all the hassle at the airport and don't like flying anyway.
Also the cost of it all. Mrs G is paying £1200 for a week in Ibiza. It is a lot of money for one week in the sun.
With reference to keeping fit, like you , I feel that I am a lot fitter than people my age and even younger. I remember my dad, when he was my age,, he was an old man. I still enjoy my cycling but the weather doesn't not help either because I am a fair weather rider.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
I also think my enthusiasm for such things has waned too. Don't get me wrong, I am much fitter and more mobile than most people my age and wish to maintain this but... it doesn't seem quite as important to me as it once did.
Since the RTA I've been fighting similar thoughts. It's one, small, reason I haven't ordered a new bike yet. I need to be sure the desire is still there.

I'm not worried about being back on the road but finding the motivation is going to be a challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom