The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D is busy painting the kitchen, leaving me unable to access my salty snacks.

Just been for a walk down to the Pharmacy to pick up an item they didn;t have yesterday

It is warmer and far more humid out there than I thought
now soaked in sweat!!!!

Also been onto the Old Age pension people and sorted out my pension/National Insurance payments - I had 2 years missing

that should be enough for me to get the full pension when I am old enough
although I suspect I will have to give them some more money next year - but that should be all

When I was working and paying NI - the explanation of why it said "contracted out" never said that I would have to pay extra once I retired to make up the bloomin' difference

not sure this wasn;t a fiddle!

anyway - I would suggest anyone who is not old enough to claim the pension yet contacts them to see how things are going!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just been for a walk down to the Pharmacy to pick up an item they didn;t have yesterday

now soaked in sweat!!!!

Also been onto the Old Age pension people and sorted out my pension/National Insurance payments - I had 2 years missing

although I suspect I will have to give them some more money next year - but that should be all

When I was working and paying NI - the explanation of why it said "contracted out" never said that I would have to pay extra once I retired to make up the bloomin' difference

anyway - I would suggest anyone who is not old enough to claim the pension yet contacts them to see how things are going!

Being on the railway we were automatically contracted out, which meant paying slightly less NI contributions which went, supposidly into to workplace pension.
This is why we get a slightly reduced state pension, not by much, mine worked out at £22 per 4 weeks. I took the decision not to pay the £804 top up.
What industry did you work in?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Our neighbour just came round with a sick bunny In a box. Looks like it has mixamatosis. I thought it was gone form here as we haven't seen any signs of it for about 18 months and bunny numbers have been increasing. I only said to Mr WD the other week that I hadn't seen many bunnies lately.

The neighbour can't kill anything so he asked us to do the deed. Poor thing can hardly breathe. It's eyes are all bunged up as well so it looks like the dreaded disease is back once again. :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
words fail me, and that's unusual to say the least.
Very unusual, too say the least!

PaulSB

Squire

now soaked in sweat!!!!

Can I suggest you double-check this as I’m not sure it’s correct. If you have two missing years now, you may have more by the time you’re 66. You’re retired now but below State Pension age. As you’re no longer employed you’re not paying NI which is the important point for the state pension. I don’t know what age you are but lets say it’s 64, and your SP age is 66. If you make no NI contributions in the next two years I think you will find you have a choice; either accept a reduced SP or “buy” the additional years to receive the full SP. You can check all this on the .gov.uk website

My wife retired at 60 with an SP age of 66. To receive the full SP she had to buy the years , between 60 and 66, in order to receive the full SP. Financially it was a no brainer as the return on investment is very good, especially for those who’ve enjoyed the last two significant leaps in the SP.

The proportion you contracted out should have outperformed Additional State Pension (SERPS) making the pension you receive higher than it would otherwise have been. You haven’t been fiddled. It’s clear to you your SP is reduced, what you don’t know, is just how much your other pension increased by virtue of contracting out. Generally, it was a good thing to do.

Top Bottom