The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Today I shall be in the workshop fettling MrsD's Bantam - lack of mid range power prompting a carburettor strip.
Got to pick up a rear tyre (free) for my trials bike from a guy just up the road this afternoon.
Weather's looking good for the next few days.

Good morning all, cool and overcast here, supposed to get some sunny intervals later.

Our most recent catch up viewing has been series 1 of Sherwood, great performances and full of intrigue. The miners strike mostly passed me by at the time so it was interesting to see it depicted. Google tells me it was 84-85, I was a ‘student’ at the time but far more interested in riding my bike than studying. I remember seeing the pickets and police vans etc in my rides around Coventry.
Am waiting for series 2 to complete so I can watch it in days rather than weeks.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good morning all, cool and overcast here, supposed to get some sunny intervals later.

Our most recent catch up viewing has been series 1 of Sherwood, great performances and full of intrigue. The miners strike mostly passed me by at the time so it was interesting to see it depicted. Google tells me it was 84-85, I was a ‘student’ at the time but far more interested in riding my bike than studying. I remember seeing the pickets and police vans etc in my rides around Coventry.
Am waiting for series 2 to complete so I can watch it in days rather than weeks.

I thought it was excellent too. I’ve started series 2, but might just hold off and binge the rest of it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's supposed to be a nice day here today. So why is it POURING DOWN.

The forecasts keep changing. When I checked last night we looked like getting a solid ten dry days. Now there’s a couple of days with rain.

Wandered round to the Co-op for a few bits and pieces. I seem to be buying more fruit and veg just now which can only be good I suppose. At least it’s better than sweet stuff.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
The forecasts keep changing. When I checked last night we looked like getting a solid ten dry days. Now there’s a couple of days with rain.

Wandered round to the Co-op for a few bits and pieces. I seem to be buying more fruit and veg just now which can only be good I suppose. At least it’s better than sweet stuff.

Apple pies and jam doughnuts don't count though

Correct. My wife had 41 years, started work at 19, retired at 60. The gap was from non-payment between age 60 and 66. At the time this was easily checked on the .gov.uk website.

Log in, request the illustration. If one is short of years there is a button to click which shows the missing years. In my wife's case whenever I checked it the years would be post her retirement and would increase the longer she was retired.

Prior to reaching SP age we called the DWP who confirmed the years which needed to be purchased.

I know you're right about 35 qualifying years. I think this means literally that, one "qualifies" or is entitled to SP. The value though is a different and determined by the DWP based on contributions. In my mind it's a common misunderstanding. My knowledge is only through having checked many times as we waited for Mrs P's SP to be available. This is why I suggest ebiker double-checks.

Many years ago I checked and I was told that I had full contributions as I had 40 years - so no problems with pension

SInce then I have checked again - just to see - and found out that I was behind and would NOT get a full pensions
because I have not contributed since I retired so I am supposed to pay that as well

Oh - and another thing

My wife wants to check he pension stuff
but to do so she needs to log onto the government gateway
which she can;t as she doesn;t have the necessary documentation
She has a passport and she has an NHS pension and all the details
but that is not enough

apparently she has to ring the help line and they can talk her through it but she has tried that once and got nowhere
it does seem to take some effort and determination to get it all sorted at times

Things are not always how they appear - best to check - then check again

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Many years ago I checked and I was told that I had full contributions as I had 40 years - so no problems with pension

SInce then I have checked again - just to see - and found out that I was behind and would NOT get a full pensions
because I have not contributed since I retired so I am supposed to pay that as well

Oh - and another thing

My wife wants to check he pension stuff
but to do so she needs to log onto the government gateway
which she can;t as she doesn;t have the necessary documentation
She has a passport and she has an NHS pension and all the details
but that is not enough

apparently she has to ring the help line and they can talk her through it but she has tried that once and got nowhere
it does seem to take some effort and determination to get it all sorted at times

Things are not always how they appear - best to check - then check again

Same problem here. No passport, never held a credit card so would have to phone them. I’ll just take my chances and accept what I get. It’s only just over 8 months away now anyway.

Dave7

Legendary Member

I got some of that granola stuff. Am about to try it.

Top Bottom