The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There are rumours that in the next budget the government will start charging us per mile to drive. Great.

Who is putting the rumour out there?

screenman

Legendary Member
I just woken up. I have started doing twenty minutes of yoga again each evening. I think I might have relaxed a bit too much at the end of that session.

PaulSB

Squire
There are rumours that in the next budget the government will start charging us per mile to drive. Great.

There's a certain sense to this. Much depends on how it's implemented. At the moment e-vehicle users don't pay fuel taxes. Current fuel duty is 53p and VAT per litre is 24. That's 77p of tax revenue that is lost to the exchequer. When petrol/diesel cars are banned the tax revenues will decline sharply. Somehow that revenue has to be replaced.

Which? say an e-vehicle can cost as little as 2p per mile, petrol 16p, diesel 13p.

If fuel duty was eliminated and we all paid the same tax per mile, road charging, it would be a lot fairer.

My house can never afford to buy an e-car.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There's a certain sense to this. Much depends on how it's implemented. At the moment e-vehicle users don't pay fuel taxes. Current fuel duty is 53p and VAT per litre is 24. That's 77p of tax revenue that is lost to the exchequer. When petrol/diesel cars are banned the tax revenues will decline sharply. Somehow that revenue has to be replaced.

Which? say an e-vehicle can cost as little as 2p per mile, petrol 16p, diesel 13p.

If fuel duty was eliminated and we all paid the same tax per mile, road charging, it would be a lot fairer.

My house can never afford to buy an e-car.

Neither could I.

Top Bottom