The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Phew. It’s warm now. I managed to make up a 4 mile route that kept me under the trees for 75% of the time so not too bad. Glad to get back though. I think the pjs will be going on.

Anyone else noticed a distinct lack of butterflies this year? Even on the buddleia bushes there wasn’t a single butterfly. A few years ago they would have been covered on a day like this. It’s a bit worrying.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Phew. It’s warm now. I managed to make up a 4 mile route that kept me under the trees for 75% of the time so not too bad. Glad to get back though. I think the pjs will be going on.

Anyone else noticed a distinct lack of butterflies this year? Even on the buddleia bushes there wasn’t a single butterfly. A few years ago they would have been covered on as day like this. It’s a bit worrying.

There was an article on Google news about it tother day. If I had been in a better mood I would have read it.

PaulSB

Squire

Anyone else noticed a distinct lack of butterflies this year? Even on the buddleia bushes there wasn’t a single butterfly. A few years ago they would have been covered on a day like this. It’s a bit worrying.
Along with many other insect species there is a very serious decline in the butterfly population. 80% of butterfly species have been in decline since the '70s. There's a Cabbage White flitting around my allotment. The only one I've seen this year.

I can't recall the last time I saw a crane fly or moth. At one time we could sit on the bench outside our house at dusk and watch the bats fly past. We had four different species. Today? None.

The damage we have done is repairable but only if there is real will.

Meanwhile my neighbour has sprayed weedkiller across the hedge row bottom. This man is so dim and unaware even if I pinned him to the wall and explained he wouldn't get it. The amount of self-control I exercise is off the scale. There is the problem, 95% of the population don't have a clue or care.

Rant over.

The Guardian

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Finally finished.

Attachments

• 20240731_143813.jpg
    20240731_143813.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 12

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

I saw only one white butterfly in the front garden yesterday and the day before but that's all. Yes, it is worrying the damage we do to wild life. We really don't deserve to live on this planet. When the human race disappears, animals will run the earth better than we do.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Yes, I have noticed a lack of butterflies and flying insects in general.

Lots of butterflies only fly when it’s warm and sunny so that might have something to do with it this year. Longer term the picture doesn’t seem so bad, as reported as recently as last year…https://www.nature.scot/scotlands-butterflies-increase-35-percent-some-species-risk

Top Bottom